Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help ASAP with Tahoe 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, let's say hypothetically that the aftermarket audio components did cause the BCM to fail...then the dealer should also be figuring in labor to remove those components and prices for parts to replace them, or the new BCM will fail just like the original....didn't see that anywhere in the estimate
Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

it could make since with the newer trucks. you have onstar being all integrated with radio and bcm and everything else the bcm controls.

i know i tried to install an after market keyless entry when i first got my silverado. i went from a old truck with a door lock switch to a truck with a chip in the door i took the panel apart and bbzzz i touch a wrong part. well it fried the bcm. nothing would work. no windows no door locks couple other things went hay wire. luckily it was under warranty and i told them it suddenly stopped working. they fixed it no questions.

that's when i knew it was time to learn some stuff about the new trucks.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A radio and amp don't interface with nearly as much stuff as a Keyless Entry would. You can get a plug and play harness for the radio and the Amp is essentially a remote wire to the radio, RCA's, Fuse-able line to the Battery, Ground and speakers.

No splicing required.

The entire blaim the radio scenario most likely started from people Splicing wires instead of using a plug n play harness. If you have a harness the odds of messing anything up are very very low.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Honestly it's quite possible that there is an internal short in one of the aftermarket audio components that smoked the BCM, but if that were the case you would obviously want to remove the shorted component at the very least. If the dealer is so sure that is the problem, how come they didn't quote a price for a factory head unit, or mention disconnecting the shorted component to protect the new BCM?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It Turns out it was some loose wires from the E Brake. WTF?????
Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320_Racing
It Turns out it was some loose wires from the E Brake. WTF?????
How did you find this out??? What's the cost for any repairs up to this point???
Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ask them what happened to it being the stereo?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
How did you find this out??? What's the cost for any repairs up to this point???
A buddy of mine ownes a shop here locally and knows the parts manager. He called him to see if he knew what was going on with my tahoe. It's funny cause right after he talked to him the service manager called and said it was only a few loose wires from the E-Brake. The total cost was about 220.00

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Did you ask them what happened to it being the stereo?
Yea at this point they are saying since it is a navagation system, in order to put in an address or use the navagation. The truck has to come to a complet stop and apply the E-brake. Somehow something came loose and caused all this. But the BCM did not have to be replaced.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Good to know that they diagnosed it right the first time lol...glad you didn't go and buy a BCM for nothing.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320_Racing
A buddy of mine ownes a shop here locally and knows the parts manager. He called him to see if he knew what was going on with my tahoe. It's funny cause right after he talked to him the service manager called and said it was only a few loose wires from the E-Brake. The total cost was about 220.00

Yea at this point they are saying since it is a navagation system, in order to put in an address or use the navagation. The truck has to come to a complet stop and apply the E-brake. Somehow something came loose and caused all this. But the BCM did not have to be replaced.
Well at least things changed in your favor on this issue. Perhaps your freind had something to do with it... Either way Glad It Wasn't as severe as they previously told you!

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP with Tahoe 5.3