Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help with '97 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with '97 Silverado

Since I sold the Hawk, I have been turning to nmy truck to fees my mod bug. I am a bit stymied by the powertrain though. It is a 5.7, but it has Spider Injection. I have found tuning software, but I am more concerned with the limits of this injection system. I was thinking of headers and maybe a whipple. I am getting the trans rebuilt right now and putting a mild converter in it too.

Has anyone successfully souped one of these up? Are there any aftermarket heads that will work on this truck? What generation block and heads is this, anyways - is it LT1 based?

Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

-Geoff
Old 07-24-2005, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
Since I sold the Hawk, I have been turning to nmy truck to fees my mod bug. I am a bit stymied by the powertrain though. It is a 5.7, but it has Spider Injection. I have found tuning software, but I am more concerned with the limits of this injection system. I was thinking of headers and maybe a whipple. I am getting the trans rebuilt right now and putting a mild converter in it too.

Has anyone successfully souped one of these up? Are there any aftermarket heads that will work on this truck? What generation block and heads is this, anyways - is it LT1 based?

Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

-Geoff
That fuel injection setup on those motors is a little different, from what I understand the Vortec heads that come on those motors flow pretty well and I don't know of any aftermarket heads that will work on that motor. The intake runners are a little different than an LT1, I believe. Should run strong if you decide to go with a Whipple. I have been helping my buddy do a cam swap on a his 97 the past day or so, should run out pretty damn good when we are done.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eldebrock makes E-Tech heads that will work. They have 170 and 210 available. As far as I know there is no upgrade for the injection. JamesB is running 210 E-Tech heads and a Whipple on his Tahoe. He might be able to help you. I have a friend that wants me to build a 383 with E-Techs with a Whipple and nitrous. So this something I need to know to.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the fuel injection sucks on these engines since there is no upgrades. I think we are stuck with the 19lbs ones.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With enough patience and willpower, ANYthing is upgradable

Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Truck Sponsor

JamesB,how and what did you do and use there man?????I want to know please????
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is a very carefully tinkered-with L31 Marine EFI intake manifold. It's not installed yet but it will be this year. It has real injectors, will have functional EGR, will connect to the stock fuel lines, and it will literally plug in and bolt down in place of the stock CPI manifold.

This is no minor afternoon project. A great deal of time and money has been spent by many people collectively to bring this to reality. Our efforts are chronicled on the Pacific Performance Engineering Forum.

Here's a link to it: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that is very impressive James! Are you going to run an aftermarket Engine Management or have you adapted to the stock PCM? I found that Tunercat sells tuning software for these trucks at a very reasonable price, so I am going to pick that up soon.

Thanks for all the info guys.

-Geoff
Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job on the intake Looks very impressive, someone may actually be able to make decent power on one of those motors
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

I have 1 installed, it works great.

Cmon James get it installed. No more 19 lb/hr injectors, there is 1 on ebay for sale as we speak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8007462179

Here is the conversion
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317

Hog

Quick Reply: Need Help with '97 Silverado