Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

need headers install guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go from the bottom, yank the trans crossmember to make your life 100 times easier, it's only a few bolts, wiggle the headers in and bolt up. You will have to hold the back of the trans up with a jack or something to get the headers in place.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Driver side from underneath, passenger side from up top.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

from my experience installing pacesetters and o/r y on my sierra, you dont have to pull the crossmember down, and if you jack it up high enough the right side will slide in from the bottom without having to remove any heat shields, the only thing i unhooked on the left side was the steering arm, also i put the y pipe in place before installing the headers so once the headers were up everything slid into place. the 3 bolts that hold the factory manifolds are a real bitch so i just cut the y pipe up in order to drop the manifolds out

another word of advice is spray the **** outta the manifold bolts, i sprayed mine twice a day for a week straight before the install with pb blaster.. also another trick a welder at work taught me was to tap the wrench with a small hammer when breaking the bolts loose, now i didn't exactly get away with 'tapping' the bolts but i didn't break any bolts off in the head that way either and this was a 200k+ miles truck

one more thing: get band clamps! u-bolt clamps suck and make taking it back apart a real pita.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Driver side from underneath, passenger side from up top.
^^^ this is what i did as well, if you are going to scrap the old parts just use a saw to cut up the exhaust for easier removal.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

I just installed OBX Stainless headers and y-pipe with no issues at all....didnt remove support either...had a floor jack and jack stands and put my 08 Sierra as high off pavement as possible... Fits perfectly ... Saws all or grinder ( i used small electric grinder w\cut off blade) helps with demolishin of stock pipe... Very happy with mine .. Pretty sure different brands long tubes are all the same unless other brands have design flaws...Good luck... Oh and i used Liquid Wrench on my exhaust manifold bolts the night before and they came out like they were never tightened...Lucky Me...
I went from bottom with them and had no issues either

Last edited by BIGDADDY1969; 03-31-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add comment on installation i ommitted
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate all the advice and hints. Thanks much.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

I removed nothing except old manifolds and exhaust. Installed and test drove. Very easy.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Formerly PurplePearl (2014-04-06)

Lifted? If your front diff is dropped anymore than 2 inches it will hit you front drive shaft...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I managed to install my Pacesetter headers and ORY myself on jack stands under my carport. Thanks for the hints. I decided to document my headers installation, maybe it'll help someone else. Here is the link for the install guide if you are interested.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...8/#post4909235

Attached Thumbnails need headers install guide-headers-resized.jpg  

Last edited by batboy; 04-22-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2000chevysilverado
I've put couple sets on even on my gto I had sawzall is your friend if you don't want to take crossmember out other wise its pretty easy mine went in from the top side with a little help frpm a hammer if ya need some help let me know, 10mm 12mm and 15mm will be used the most sockets and rachet wrenches
trying to install long tube headers right now but getting stuck on frame and trans lines on the hump on the headers do I need to lift motor I spoke to a exhaust shop near me and he said a hammer and possibly lift the motor

Quick Reply: need headers install guide