Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Nelson fan harness is eating relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
installed the 145 amp today, seems to be a little better on the draw.....

we will see.

GM part# 10464476

I noticed that one ONE fan is on with the A/C turns on if the temp is below where it is set to come on....does that make sense? LOL
Yep, then Nelson harness works as follows:

PCM (temp) trigger only - both fans on low
A/C trigger only - one fan on high, one fan off
PCM and A/C trigger - Both fans on high
Old 07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Yep, then Nelson harness works as follows:

PCM (temp) trigger only - both fans on low
A/C trigger only - one fan on high, one fan off
PCM and A/C trigger - Both fans on high

there has to be a better way to do that.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Pre-05 trucks only have 2 triggers to work with (a/c +12V and PCM ground for temp). The only way I can think of would be to do some kind of either time delay or slow-ramping relays, or to go to a standalone variable speed controller.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by thunder550
Pre-05 trucks only have 2 triggers to work with (a/c +12V and PCM ground for temp). The only way I can think of would be to do some kind of either time delay or slow-ramping relays, or to go to a standalone variable speed controller.

the stand alone may be the only way. All I know is there is a horrible "shock" on the charging system with this set up....one I am not willing to live with.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 05 fans can draw up to 75 amps of power. I have put a DC shunt and from one fan on low and kicking the A/C on then both fans on high it drew 75 amps. The Nelson harness is fully capable of supporting this(not for a constant high amperage). After the initial start up the amperage levels off to around 7-8 amps both on high.

I have the Nelson harness with the 05 Fans. I know this may sound odd but you may have too much amperage in your system for the relays. I have the stock 105a alt and can only make a small amount of amperage, where as you have a high capacity to put out amperage, hence you can put the full power to the fans to turn them on where i cant possibly over amp the relays, you can. this may be the problem. Not sure tho.

Does this make sense?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
Does this make sense?

Ummm, No! LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
The 05 fans can draw up to 75 amps of power. I have put a DC shunt and from one fan on low and kicking the A/C on then both fans on high it drew 75 amps. The Nelson harness is fully capable of supporting this(not for a constant high amperage). After the initial start up the amperage levels off to around 7-8 amps both on high.

I have the Nelson harness with the 05 Fans. I know this may sound odd but you may have too much amperage in your system for the relays. I have the stock 105a alt and can only make a small amount of amperage, where as you have a high capacity to put out amperage, hence you can put the full power to the fans to turn them on where i cant possibly over amp the relays, you can. this may be the problem. Not sure tho.

Does this make sense?
I run a 105 too and still feel the system shock
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
blownerator

If the fans are pulling 75 amps when the activate then ANY alt is going to have a VERY short life.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the LS1 fans with the Nelson Wiring Harness and I have my Fans come on at 180 because I have a supercharger and the truck still runs at 14 AMPS with Factory Batttery and Alt. My truck still creeps up too 190 when it is 100 outside which means my fans run constantly and it still stays at 14 AMPS.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 04GIBBS
I have the LS1 fans with the Nelson Wiring Harness and I have my Fans come on at 180 because I have a supercharger and the truck still runs at 14 AMPS with Factory Batttery and Alt. My truck still creeps up too 190 when it is 100 outside which means my fans run constantly and it still stays at 14 AMPS.
I think you are confusing volts and amps. The only way to find out how much current (amps) the fans are drawing when they are running is to put an ammeter (shunt) inline with them. The systems will always charge at 14 volts (what you are referring to) unless you exceed the capacity of the alternator. The reason people are seeing system shock (voltage drop) with the fans is because the alt may be sitting there comfortably producing 60 amps of current, then BAM the fans turn on and all of a sudden there is 135 amps being drawn off the alternator and it can't adjust that quickly. As the alt output increases and the initial startup load of the fans drops off, the voltage comes back up to 14 where it should be.

Quick Reply: My Nelson fan harness is eating relays