Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My interesting Transgo/Billet install LONG!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My interesting Transgo/Billet install LONG!!

Ok, well I finally tackeled the Transgo and Billet servo's install on friday. Let me tell you that it wasn't easy, but I have done worse. It was frustrating as can any new thing you do. I had so many problems with this install that it took me about 8 hours to do the whole thing. Granted I changed all my fluids at the same time, but I had to drop the pan 4 times!! When I was installing the valve in the pump, I accidentally pulled the lock up valve out instead. Knowing that it wasn't right after I looked at the parts I put the lock up valve back in how I thought it came out. So, after I get this valve back in I finish the transgo install. ON to the billets. I installed the billets and for some stupid reason I was confusing the accumulator for the servo's and left out the washers. Anyway, the install on the billets wasn't going well. I couldn't get the cover to go in enough to put the snapring on. So I called superior, sellers or manufacturers of the servo's and the tech told me that I had to have the washers in there. SO I listened to him and took it back apart and put the washers in. Put it all together and it went in like it should. My thought on the first try was the pin wasn't seated in the band all the way. Anyway, so I realized the washer that wasn't supposed to go in, was the one in the 2nd accumulator. This is after the pan is up. So I put the exhaust back up and drop the truck. I go to fill it and in the video it says to install 6 qts of atf, start it and install 2 more right away. I do this and its way too full. So I put it in gear and it dies. Thinking that the fluid level may be choking something I drained it to the proper level to no avail. So wondering what I did, I called the transgo tech and he said it had to do with the lock up valve. Connecting the two, I installed it wrong. Since I didn't get a chance to ask him how it was supposed to be installed I go tackle it, dropping the pan once again. I pull the valve back out and installed it with both springs inside each other like he said. So after this I put the pan back up and fill it and start it again. Again, it dies in gear. So I am really frustrated at this point and and drop the pan again. Thinking about the diff bolt lengths I pulled the exhaust and pulled the pan out to find two bolts mixed up in the valve body. So I fix this and put the pan back up and realized not to put the exhaust back up till I fix this f'n thing. So I start it again and it still f'n dies!! I drop the pan for the last time and call the transgo tech. I told him how I installed the lock up valve and he said, thats my problem. He told me the correct way to install it which is the springs on top of the valve and the bigger part of the valve I would be looking at, then the washer, then the snapring. I intall the valve correctly and put the pan back up after relacing the gasket again and fill it up. Start it up and wow its fixed!! So I clean it up, put the exhaust back up and go drive it. This thing shifts pretty damn hard and I liked it for the first 3 times it shifted. Normal driving is pretty harsh so guess what, the pan has to come back down for the 5th time to remove the washer. I figured I would tackle it tonight. SO thinking all is good now I clean it up and go pick up my girl and we get on the highway, sh*t no 4th! The last time I dropped the lock up valve out, I forgot to connect the 4th gear solenoid I imagine. Since the pan has to come back out anyway to remove the spring its not that big of a deal, just leave it in 3rd.
On a good note I had my exhaust done on saturday and my front windows tinted to match the back. I'll get picks some time soon for you guys. I like the way the exhaust was done but its not true duals which is what I wanted. It has to be removed for future things so we just just the muffler pipe off right after the flange and put a y on that, then dual in, dual out to the tips.
Sorry soooooo long, but thats the probs I ran into, so I had to tell you all.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Good to hear that you got it all figured out. Look at it this way, your an expert at the shift kit install now.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man ... you had one hell of a problem with that thing. When I got mine back in the truck after the billet OD servo and the rest of it being rebuilt I didn't have OD either. I pulled the servos out and noticed that the seal on the OD servo was torn. I stuck the stock on in with the stock seals and it shifted fine.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like I am going to hold off on the TranGo intall, and let a pro do it!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02Silverado
It looks like I am going to hold off on the TranGo intall, and let a pro do it!
word on that... i'm really nervous about it...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

It aint all that bad, just be prepared for some headaches. I am a bmw tech and this got me frustrated. Mainly because its new to me. I have done a shiftkit in a th350, but that was years ago and this is new age stuff.
So flyer are you thinking that its my od servo? and not the solenoid under the solenoid for the lock up? I have to pull the pan anyway, so I will let you know.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say since your already dropping the pan ... check the plug, if it's attatched check the servo seals. I think if it were unplugged though it would throw a code and turn on the SES light.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the write up. Now I'm defiantely afraid of the tranny inards.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's alot of tranny fliud to go through too.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, my thoughts exactly on the trans fluid. Luckily I started saving it the first time I redropped the pan. I did drop the pan again tonight and the connector on the solenoid was connected. SO I removed the washer in the accumulator and put the pan back up. Took the servo out, well atleast the 4th gear APPLY piston, (should have connected it to that) and found out the seal was ripped. The first time I had to take the servo back out it must have damaged the seal a little bit and once I installed it it ripped half of the seal off. So I will call superior tomorrow and overnight a o ring. I drive 30 minutes to work at hwy speeds so its gonna drink the gas till I fix it. Thanks Flyer for the heads up. See how great this forum is.

Quick Reply: My interesting Transgo/Billet install LONG!!