Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modded 5.3, what's next??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FFDP, you had said that going to full roller rockers was a money waster, but here's the thing. A trunion kit is about $135, whereas full roller rockers are $350.00, wouldn't you spend the extra 200 and go with the full rockers?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

No, I wouldn't. Stocker rarely ever fail and just work so I'd rather keep my money.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't even do the trunion upgrade unless you are getting a .625" lift cam. And even then I see more trunion upgrades galling the shaft than making an improvement. You need a torque convertor. And if that shop let the tuner tell them to order a bigger can rather than tune the cam you wanted, don't go back to that shop or tuner. Period.

Gears are going to be a trade off. Anything bigger than the 3.73 you already have is going to eat mpg. If you need the off line leverage then you are going to have to accept some worse fuel economy.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I wouldn't even do the trunion upgrade unless you are getting a .625" lift cam. And even then I see more trunion upgrades galling the shaft than making an improvement. You need a torque convertor. And if that shop let the tuner tell them to order a bigger can rather than tune the cam you wanted, don't go back to that shop or tuner. Period.

Gears are going to be a trade off. Anything bigger than the 3.73 you already have is going to eat mpg. If you need the off line leverage then you are going to have to accept some worse fuel economy.
you mentioned a torque converter. I don't want to go to a stall due traveling sometimes up to 60 miles one way and heavy traffic congestion. So with that in mind what do you suggest?
Old 08-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3600 converter would get it moving. Could lock up at 55 mph and it wouldn’t be a big deal for daily driving. Just get a transmission cooler. With a cam that size you need it anyway and of course gear ratios. People do cam and springs all the time and don’t touch anything else, you should be fine for now.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

How about a compromise with 4.10's and a 3200 converter?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slow99
3600 converter would get it moving. Could lock up at 55 mph and it wouldn’t be a big deal for daily driving. Just get a transmission cooler. With a cam that size you need it anyway and of course gear ratios. People do cam and springs all the time and don’t touch anything else, you should be fine for now.
Yeah I don't if I'm ready to go to that high of a stall right now. Sure, I'd launch off the line, but this is my DD and there are times when my wife or my daughters would be driving it too. So I have to keep it somewhat tame for them also. But you had mentioned a trans cooler, I can't recall but I though Avvy's come stock with a trans cooler as part of the towing package. Now I'm not saying it's adequate, only that they come as OEM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I've had a pain in the *** loose converter (9 1/2") and its just not me. However I would absolutely do a moderately higher stall. I've seen many trucks and cars at the strip run a much slower time than stock because of a lumpy cam although a higher mph and just make a lot of noise doing it (Lmao). You should never do one without the other. I think if you look at a dyno sheet of your setup and see where your cam starts to make good torque you could figure out what will work well when talking to a converter manufacturer. I know there are plenty of them that are tight enough to drive normally and then flash high enough when you nail it. That's your next move imho.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcburner
Yeah I don't if I'm ready to go to that high of a stall right now. Sure, I'd launch off the line, but this is my DD and there are times when my wife or my daughters would be driving it too. So I have to keep it somewhat tame for them also. But you had mentioned a trans cooler, I can't recall but I though Avvy's come stock with a trans cooler as part of the towing package. Now I'm not saying it's adequate, only that they come as OEM.
yes the towing package did include a small trans cooler. although if you were to do a stall I'd do an aftermarket one to play it safe. although if you don't want to do stall right now, 4.10 gears would help substantially.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3,000 rpm converter is plenty driveable for a daily. I think you can adjust how they drive and lock up in the tune. No reason to have to rev it to 4k just to leave a stop sign of course.....I am not suggesting that. But a moderate convertor to work with your cam and 4.10 gears should solve all of your issues....might be able to make the 3.73s work.

I would also highly recommend a Tru-Cool 40k cooler. I have one and it is dead simple to install. The 'towing package' cooler is barely adequate for stock......

Quick Reply: Modded 5.3, what's next??