Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Modded 5.3, what's next??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded 5.3, what's next??

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum so in case you missed my thread in the new members section here's what I've thus far to my 07 Avvy.
Engine Enhancements: Texas Speed AFM delete; GM performance valve springs & lifters; Texas Speed Cam - .228/.228 .550 112LSA - single bolt swapped to a 3 bolt; Custom Tune
Exhaust: Headers 1 3/4" primaries - 3" Y pipe, into 3.5" Single, into a single in dual out 2 chamber muffler, 3" duals out behind the wheels.

Besides the obvious of going to a CAI not sure where else to go from here.

Looking for input.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I don't see a CAI doing anything. The factory airbox already pulls in the best air because the box is sealed and grabs air straight from the wheel well.

You asked for input but didn't say what you wanted?

Gotta have goals or plans to get suggestions.

If you want a random thought, do gears and slap a blower on it. That'll make it fun and destroy the 4L60e in the process.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Teching In

You're right I didn't think about that aspect. My thought process was to get more out of what I already have in regards to internal component. About the CAI, I'm going more for cosmetic, than performance, but I get what you're saying in regards to performance. I have been thinking about gears 4.56 to be exact. I know this will boost my off the line performance but I don't want to kill the mpg's should we decide to take it on vacation or something. Yes, I know you can't have performance without sacrifice. I don't want to go to stall just yet since this is my DD. Hopefully I'll get a second car for winter then I can spend some time making this a little more fun. I know it's a 7,200lbs beast of a truck, and I'm not expecting to do 10's or 12's in the 1\4, but it would be fun to see a this truck maybe run 15's?? Either way it's a fun truck already, and it's nice to get compliments on it. I work hard keeping it clean, waxed, etc...
Old 08-15-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Should already be running 15s with all that done. Do you have a weight on race night and a trap speed?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swathdiver
Should already be running 15s with all that done. Do you have a weight on race night and a trap speed?
Naw, I have no idea on race weight, or trap speed. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but I'd like too. Where I live the nearest one is about an hour or so away.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I have another question- I had a garage do the work for me and they had said my next upgrades should be full roller rockers, and chrome moly pushrods. I think the stock rocker ratio for a 5.3 is 1.7/1.72, so if I were to change it to 1.8, what could I expect from that?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You got your curb weight and GVWR mixed up. A half ton truck only weights 5300-5500ish lbs give or take what you put inside it. Not even a huge suburban weights 7,000lbs.

Leave the stock rockers, going to roller rockers and "special" push rods just seems like a money waster. Doing a trunnion upgrade to the factory rockers isn't a bad idea though.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Bet it weighs close to 6k anyway. Aren't Av's heavy? I would do a converter anyway (with lockup you can live with it) and gears just don't go crazy. No offense intended but its got to be a total dog from a red light with that cam? Races are won from a dig. A PD blower would solve a lot of problems lol. FFDP is a smart dude btw so listen.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
You got your curb weight and GVWR mixed up. A half ton truck only weights 5300-5500ish lbs give or take what you put inside it. Not even a huge suburban weights 7,000lbs.

Leave the stock rockers, going to roller rockers and "special" push rods just seems like a money waster. Doing a trunnion upgrade to the factory rockers isn't a bad idea though.
I googled curb weight vs GVWR so I get what you're stating now. I then Googled the curb weight of my truck and this is what I found - 5,742 to 5,863 lbs,

Regarding the rockers, I was thinking about the trunion kit, and figured since I have to pull them off to do it I might as well upgrade the rockers. I have never replaced rockers before, or trunions. That being said, I was thinking of doing one rocker at a time versus pulling them all off at once. FFDP your thoughts?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
No offense intended but its got to be a total dog from a red light with that cam? Races are won from a dig. A PD blower would solve a lot of problems lol. FFDP is a smart dude btw so listen.
Hey yeah it's a dog out of the hole so let me tell you how this came to be. I went to a local garage and told them I wanted to get rid of the AFM because of all the horror stories I had read. I had explained to them that since I had to replace the cam to get rid of the AFM I might as well go bigger, so I had picked even a smaller Comp Cam that I wanted to run. What I didn't know is the tuner that the garage had hired for the job had told him the specs of the cam to run so that's what they did. Now, I will say at first I was bit disappointed that they didn't use the cam I had picked out, but then that quickly went away with the first test drive.

So now I have a bigger and better cam that what I had picked out so now I have really been bitten by the bug. I have always been into cars, worked as a mechanic many many years ago. Since I have been gotten back into it I have to relearn what I used to know since I've been away from it for such a long time. So to say it's a dog out of the dig is an understatement, but it has potential with gearing to change that around. I think with 4.56 gears this thing would be a beast of the dig, on the flip side of that the top end is a scary *****. The other day I'm doing 95, a guy wanted to run, so I nail it, next thing I know I'm doing 125, at about 4500 RPM. I wouldn't be surprised if my top speed was around 150 with the stock gear ratio of 3.73.

Quick Reply: Modded 5.3, what's next??