Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage and engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather have an OEM assembled engine than one with a pseudo rebuild. Really depends on if you have an engine builder you can trust or you can do it yourself, when I see "refreshed 6.0" on craigslist I look the other way.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how? If you cant do it, you should at least take steps to learn. Time? WTF is time when building a fast truck? Money? You'd rather spend 2 grand on a worn out OEM motor rather than spend $500 and another 5 to know its right?

No excuse why people on this site love driving performance trucks but cant change their own oil, converter, cam, or rebuild an engine, or whatever. There are too many people that live close to you and frequent this site to not try to learn.

"Hey, fast truck you got there! You build it?" Uhhh, no, I put up an ad for "someone in Houston do cam swaps?"

I'm not singling out one person, just the general idea. Its crazy.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do all my own work. I would rather F something up than have someone else do it. Just because I've never put a cam in or swapped an engine (in anything other than a late model dirt car) doesn't mean I won't try it or spend cash fixing what I screw up.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
Don't know how? If you cant do it, you should at least take steps to learn. Time? WTF is time when building a fast truck? Money? You'd rather spend 2 grand on a worn out OEM motor rather than spend $500 and another 5 to know its right?

No excuse why people on this site love driving performance trucks but cant change their own oil, converter, cam, or rebuild an engine, or whatever. There are too many people that live close to you and frequent this site to not try to learn.

"Hey, fast truck you got there! You build it?" Uhhh, no, I put up an ad for "someone in Houston do cam swaps?"

I'm not singling out one person, just the general idea. Its crazy.
How about I'm living with my parents, and taking up half their garage and driveway just for the engine swap was intrusive enough, let alone a complete rebuild of an engine.

As for money, if I was going to completely tear the engine down, I most certainly wouldn't put a stock LQ4 back together, so the price would have been MUCH different. Try building a truck with a limited timeframe, on a college student's budget, and get back to me.

Also, having never completely torn apart and rebuilt an engine before, I didn't want to break my engine-building virginity on one for my daily driver. If I **** one little thing up, I'm out any kind of transportation, and a shitload of money.

You really seem to have a serious problem with people doing anything different than "your" way; it's a recurring theme. Everyone is in a different situation, and a LOT of those situations aren't friendly to the complete rebuild of an engine. Just because it's not how you're doing it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

The closed-minded bullshit is getting old dude, grow up.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
How about I'm living with my parents, and taking up half their garage and driveway just for the engine swap was intrusive enough, let alone a complete rebuild of an engine.

As for money, if I was going to completely tear the engine down, I most certainly wouldn't put a stock LQ4 back together, so the price would have been MUCH different. Try building a truck with a limited timeframe, on a college student's budget, and get back to me.

Also, having never completely torn apart and rebuilt an engine before, I didn't want to break my engine-building virginity on one for my daily driver. If I **** one little thing up, I'm out any kind of transportation, and a shitload of money.

You really seem to have a serious problem with people doing anything different than "your" way; it's a recurring theme. Everyone is in a different situation, and a LOT of those situations aren't friendly to the complete rebuild of an engine. Just because it's not how you're doing it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

The closed-minded bullshit is getting old dude, grow up.
I'm the least close-minded person you'll ever meet.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in an apartment. Everytime I need to use a garage I have to go on base and pay to use their garage. That **** gets expensive. I mean I spent 50 bucks when I did my headers. That's an 8 hour job at my pace. An engine swap I don't even want to fathom. I'm doing mine at my parents in Ohio and I don't have that much leave to tear down an engine to rebuild it. Situations differ.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

I just swapped a 71k 6.0 into my truck.. Around here you can't find them with low miles and if you do they want 3000 for them.. Its retarded. But all my cam bearings and everything looked good and under the valve convers was good and she fired right up and ran smooth first turn of the key. Not everyone has the resources or money to tear and engine down. I mean its an extra 200 bucks just to pull the heads off
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
I'm the least close-minded person you'll ever meet.
I find that hard to believe, considering how many arguments you've gotten into on here in the last couple months.

But whatever, it's the internet, and I really don't care what some screen name from Texas thinks. I'll have fun driving the **** out of my truck, that was apparently not done the right way, you have fun building your LS1. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Well, I definately didnt mean to come off as an ******* with my suggestions, I guess I've never been in those situations. I had no car until I bought my own, I went straight from living with either one of my divorced parents to getting married and buying my own house which has a garage and a little driveway. Never had an apartment, never had a car beforehand to mess with.

I can see what yall mean though. I have a younger friend who lives with his parents and hes always complaining about how "they want me to get my truck out of their garage" (its a showtruck) and blah blah blah about how it needs work but he has no place to do it......I'm always like WTF?

Like I said thats never been part of my life. Sorry for not taking that into consideration.

I'm still VERY far from close-minded!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We'll I'm glad this mellowed out a bit.