Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air or Not 2 Mass Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air or Not 2 Mass Air

I was wondering if anyone would or would not recommend running a Grannatelli Mass air meter or is it a waste of money. Currently I don't have a SuperCharger but plan on getting one in the near future. I was considering a Mass air meter now, but don't know if it would work in conjunction with the SuperCharger or not. Any help would be appreciated as I am just getting into the performance side of my truck.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Re: Mass Air or Not 2 Mass Air

From what I have heard, You do not want to use the GMS with a supercharger.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:23 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOT, save the money for anything else, exhaust? ls1edit? posi? anything besides the maf.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:54 PM
single digit dreamer

someone chime in here and correct me if i am wrong but aren't the truck maf the same size as the gms. form what i understand the only benifit from the gms is the minipulation in tune that it does and that can be a bad thing when combined with other tuning tools or a blower.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From my experience, it only helps if it is a smaller size than the throttle body. Places like BBK, and Greddy, and Steeda, do not recommend them bythemselves, but in packages like a throttle body and then a MAF at the same time. Also if you are running larger hoses to allow the larger path of air. Remember that if you do not port the intake to the throttle body, you may actually loose power. Cars like mustangs actually used to use smaller MAFS than the throttle body, thus you got about 8 hp from a larger MAF sensor. When I have done this mod to a truck or two, I noticed only a small level of power gain when I opened the intake all the way in, to the same size as the throttle body. If you only open the intake with funnel shaped port, then it is narrowed down and you defeat the purpose, you need to open the hole to the size of the throttle body as deep into the intake as possible, usually you only have to do that about 1/2 to 1" deep before you get into the inside of the intake, that is if the interior of the intake is larger than the opening, on most vehicles that is so. If you got the right tools you can do it while it is on the vehicle. This will only really help you if you are running a larger cam, open exhaust, or forced induction. You will gain a little top end horsepower, but may trade a little down low torque on a stock motor. But on a 5.3 motor, you won't even notice any loss, but will barely feel the gain with no other mods. If you are planning for future mods, then this can be done before or after, and it will help overall. Just take off the factory throttle body first and see how much more you can open the intake, then compare the MAF sensor opening with the throttle body to see if the MAF sensor is smaller or not.

If you allready have headers and exhaust, than the gain from this will be more noticable, and it will add to a supercharger, or head work, or a bigger cam. So yes in a lot of ways it is worth it, but if all your mods are small then it is a lot of money for this setup if you don't go further.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, forgot to tell you, that if you are going to supercharge, most of those applications come with a chip or new programming setup for that charger. So if you mess with the MAF sensor and throttle body, it will be a little off from the new charger tuning and that can be bad. Usually just a free flowing intake, and open exhaust will not go beyond those parameters. If you are going to custom tune the motor to the completed setup, than this mod is fine.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:28 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Parish8 is correct. GMS is the same physical size as the stock MAF, but they skew the air flow and IAT readings so that the PCM gives a little more timing. It should not be combined with other tuning mods like LS1 edit, hypertech, or the microtuner.

Save your money.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

i noticed a little difference with mine. i don't have a dyno to prove it but only racing experiences. i used to lose to a friend who had a r/t single cab and he would beat me pretty bad. then i got the gms and i was even with him, as a matter of fact he would pull a little and then i would start catching up to him and his front bumper would be at my door, and it would stay like that.

i felt that when it was hot outside, my engine didn't like the gms cause it seemed faster with the stock maf. however, when it's cold outside, lookout. i also have the hypertech and i have never had a problem. just my $.02