Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF free mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for don't do it.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing....so if airflow is slightly increased with the absence of a screen, how is this different than increasing airflow by installing an aftermarket intake? Seems like all of these LS-1's type motors are setup slightly on the rich side and a little extra airflow from the MAF and intake can only make things closer to ideal A/F. A negative LTrim is ideal at cruise so that when you go to WOT no excessive fuel is added. Even if it is slightly more negative at cruise with the screen removed the LTrim's will still go to "0" at WOT. Unless you prove me wrong, I can see no reason that this could harm anything.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
maybe our truck instakes are contoured differently. so in order to straighten out the air, GM put the screen in there for a reason. in their performance cars, maybe the air has a direct flow pattern into the intake, and a screen is not necessary. just a hypothesis
Damn Keuka, you beat me to it
With the trucks tube, it bends and creates swirling and turbulence in the intake. On Corvettes, the intake tube is straight. I wish I had some pictures, but the air goes straight in, there is no swirling or turbulence into the MAF, so it doesn't need the screen there.
At least that's what I've concluded through my research. That's why my MAF is still in my truck
Old 04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 01Tahoetwinscrew
Another thing....so if airflow is slightly increased with the absence of a screen, how is this different than increasing airflow by installing an aftermarket intake? Seems like all of these LS-1's type motors are setup slightly on the rich side and a little extra airflow from the MAF and intake can only make things closer to ideal A/F. A negative LTrim is ideal at cruise so that when you go to WOT no excessive fuel is added. Even if it is slightly more negative at cruise with the screen removed the LTrim's will still go to "0" at WOT. Unless you prove me wrong, I can see no reason that this could harm anything.
When you install an aftermarket intake, like a K&N or what have you, air comes in from underneath, and not just that little *** hole on the fender.
You restrict airflow the smaller the hole that air is coming through.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

As I see it in our trucks, the MAF is the first thing out of the air box so how could the intake tube shape make any difference at all. It could be shaped like a pretzel since all of the tubing is upstream of the MAF and the reading has already been taken.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:22 PM
13 Second Truck Club

As I see it in our trucks, the MAF is the first thing out of the air box so how could the intake tube shape make any difference at all. It could be shaped like a pretzel since all of the tubing is upstream of the MAF and the reading has already been taken.
Dude, the MAF screen is DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the sensors so that the air coming from the airbox that would be swirling around there because of the tube IF the MAF screen wasn't there goes straight onto the sensors and is metered correctly, once the metered air is read by the sensors, it doesn't matter anymore if the air swirls around in the tube, it's all ready been accounted for and goes into the TB.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

So, tell me how a swirling affect is going to happen if the MAF is the first thing the air hits as it leaves the air box and why is the intake tract after the MAF mean anything? I realize that the screen is the first thing the air hits but don't see the purpose and the corvette in this respect is exactly the same...the MAF is the first thing the air hits as it leaves the box or aftermarket intake.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chingon
Damn Keuka, you beat me to it
With the trucks tube, it bends and creates swirling and turbulence in the intake. On Corvettes, the intake tube is straight. I wish I had some pictures, but the air goes straight in, there is no swirling or turbulence into the MAF, so it doesn't need the screen there.
At least that's what I've concluded through my research. That's why my MAF is still in my truck

great minds think alike

i also agree with you how the screen is before the sensor to straighten the air. what happens after the MAF doesn't make much of a difference. i think
Old 04-02-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, tell me how a swirling affect is going to happen if the MAF is the first thing the air hits as it leaves the air box and why is the intake tract after the MAF mean anything? I realize that the screen is the first thing the air hits but don't see the purpose and the corvette in this respect is exactly the same...the MAF is the first thing the air hits as it leaves the box or aftermarket intake.
the screen acts like a stabalizer to correctly meter air. im pretty sure without it, turbulence directly hiting the maf sensors wouldnt meter air as accuratley
Old 04-02-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, and the corvette is a straight shot, and i think it has some sort of baffels on the intake tube as well, im not exactly sure.. but im sure they are tuned for descreened mafs. even then, its a straight entrance and exit through the MAF, and a short distance. thats my theory

Quick Reply: MAF free mod ?