Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a mistake with MAF numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 02:21 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Made a mistake with MAF numbers

In this thread, I said My MAF flow was in the 44 pound range:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128044

I was wrong. I decided to verify my numbers again, so I went out this afternoon and made a quick log. Outside temps were in the low 60s, and 80s IAT.

Here is what I found:

Instead of seeing a 44 pound number, I saw 45.4 If I can correct my KR issue, and get rid of the stock muffler, who knows what it will be.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props to you for correcting your mistakes! Now ..... if we could all get in the habit of doing this.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you haven't messed with your MAF table?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these iron blocks magnify the knock frequencies and create false knock. I mean in a alumimun block Fbody you can run 28+ degrees without knock.

Maybe too much heat stays in the cylinder with the thicker liners and causes problems with higher timing.

Whatever the problem there is probably a few more hp left by correcting it.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Before my header install, I rarely had any KR even with the can and valvetrain noise. Now, it looks like KR is always around. I can feel a SOTP difference when its actually getting 27-28 degrees compared to its current 22-24.

I'm going to get the exhaust worked on pretty soon. I've got a few leaks that bother me. May switch mufflers, I just want it to be quiet.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I agree with the Iron motors having more KR. I need to ask some car guys if their iron motors have more knock than the LS1 does. If not, then it may be another uncovered table in LS1 edit for the trucks. I love LS1 edit, but its pretty darn frusterating that Carputing hasn't done anything on getting some truck issues resolved.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it normal for the MAF lb/min graph line to be choppy like that?

The reason I ask is because my graph looks like that too, and I thought it was belt slip, but I always get the same max readings so that kind of says its not belt slip.

The fact that you don't have a blower also kind of says mine isn't belt slip.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BigTex
Before my header install, I rarely had any KR even with the can and valvetrain noise. Now, it looks like KR is always around. I can feel a SOTP difference when its actually getting 27-28 degrees compared to its current 22-24.

I'm going to get the exhaust worked on pretty soon. I've got a few leaks that bother me. May switch mufflers, I just want it to be quiet.
My truck just doesn't run with anything less than 26-28 degrees of timing. I have no KR and have had the timing as high as 31 degrees without KR. It did not run any faster so I moved it back down to 26-28. I'm planning on installing a set of AS&M's next week. Sure hope they don't give me KR issues.

Also noticed on the graphs your AFR was below 12. Is that where you try to run it?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:09 PM
single digit dreamer

you only really have two instantses of knock, the whole rest of the time it is just slowly recovering, i say use edit to slow the knock retard coming on and speed it up a bunch going away. efilive sure makes it easy to see huh.

45lb's is freeking nuts.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:15 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I don't know if the AFR numbers from the PCM are accurate. I have a wideband, and the last time I ran with it, my AFR was mid 12s at peak torque, then to 13:1 by the high rpms. I haven't changed any enrichment values in Edit since then, but I think I'll do some wideband testing just to be sure.

I have some valvetrain noise, so I think I'll also retorque my rockers and see if they are still in the mid 20s.

Oh yeah, I have my knock out box on, so I really shouldn't be seeing any KR. Its almost like the box doesn't work on my 03. I need to do some more investigating. I have max KR at 6 in Edit, and I see basically 6*.

Quick Reply: Made a mistake with MAF numbers