Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 hot cam installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to steal but im noobie =\ lemme get this straight a ls1 hot cam will go in the 5.3 ?!?!?!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmOkA2k3
sorry to steal but im noobie =\ lemme get this straight a ls1 hot cam will go in the 5.3 ?!?!?!
yes it will

see the cam page at top of section
good writeup there
Old 01-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Launching!

i love the lope i will try to get a sound clip on here if i can
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

btw what are some of the base lines to start tunning the cam with ls1 edit? like timing tables in gear,park,ect stuff that would deal with the cam
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

ok i got a sound clip but now how do i put it on here.... i used the sound recorder on my comp and it opens with windows media player
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gmcandcaprice
btw what are some of the base lines to start tunning the cam with ls1 edit? like timing tables in gear,park,ect stuff that would deal with the cam
you need to start off getting your longterm fuel trim values as close to zero as possible, you can do this two different ways:

tuning with ve tables
tuning with ifr rates

Since you are somewhat new I would reccomend tuning with the ifr rates, while you are scanning look at your fuel trims & drive under as many different load conditions as possible, no wot yet. then depending on whether you positive or negative tune accordingly.

if you are say lean (show +8%) I would decrease my ifr rate across the table say 4% (so you would type in 96%). then retest until you get between 0 - -2%. once you have done this you can start doing some wot passes scanning your o2 sensors or using a wideband on a dyno. If you have access to a wideband I would shoot for 12.8 - 13.2 afr. every vehicle is different. I try & start out with about 12.7 & end up with 13.0 on the big end. I make the smoothest flatest curves with that. are you can shoot for about 950mvs. this is not very accurate though. you can adjust this by using your pe vs rpm table. if your lean multiply by certain percentage & retest.

as for timing you could email me your file and I could show you some pretty nice, smooth curves. I found that my truck runs best with 34 degrees total advance, unless I am spraying.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gmcandcaprice
well i put the ls1 hot cam in this last weekend and boy was it fun it fired right up on the first try........ but now it is a real dog its like driving a terd
Unfortunately, that's what can happen with over-camming a motor for it's intended useage... When this happens, a lot of people with throw a higher-stall converter at it. It'll help around town, but not when you go on the highway or your converter clutch locks up in overdrive.

Tuning is very VERY involved. Basically, the computer will do it's best to learn everything between idle and WOT. It will learn some idle, but not all. It will not learn anything at WOT. It will learn all fueling in between.

Idle stuff - you'll have to check with the guys on here - I only have experience with drive by wire TB's, which are different from yours.

WOT - you'll need your LTFT's down below 0, and you'll need a wideband.

The doggyness around town - I hate to say it, but you'll be hard pressed to sort much of that out with tuning. Your best bet is to look into SD tuning. I don't mean to be "that guy" but you'll really need to run some searches for info on that. It's a pretty involved process and I'm sure to miss details if I try to give a 'how to'.

Sorry I'm Mr. Doom and Gloom here... I know just how you feel. I had a cam in here that was too big for me and my mods.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get it tuned propery by someone who knows what they are doing, you should have no problems.