Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lq9 cylinder walls "stained" from water/rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lq9 cylinder walls "stained" from water/rust

Hey guys, I purchased a used lq9 long block, and started disassembly on it last night. Upon removing the heads there was a little water that had sat in a couple cylinders for probably a week or two, I'd assume from the wrecking yard cleaning the motor off. Anyway I wiped the water off and noticed it hadn't really rusted, but more or less "stained" the walls. Running my finger across the walls I can feel in those areas where is definately not as smooth as the rest of the cylinder. The motor turns over freely though with no hesitations. Something I should be worried about?

Here's a couple pictures. Cylinder 2 farther down in the hole, has a larger patch of the stain where the water was pooled up I just didn't have a picture of that.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

That stuff would come right off once it was fired up and running. Just looks like hard water spots with dirt mixed in.

I've seen worse junkyard engines that we installed at my last job run just fine. One of the guys used to take like super fine steel wool with some oil and just rub it away
Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

The walls look kind of glazed. I would run a ball hone through it and get the cross hatch back. Probally take most of the staining off too.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd just run it.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run it, save some pennies for down the road.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd hit it with a ball hone just for peace of mind. I would expect to see more cross hatching on a motor that clean.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You could always try some baking soda mixed with a little water to form a paste and use a tooth brush in the direction of the hone if the discoloration bothers you. It works for coffee and tomato stains on my kitchen counter, haha.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike, I can't help you with the water in the cylinder, but would like to ask you if you could tell me what kind of wheels are on your white truck? I'm at the beginning stages of lowering my truck and trying to do research when I ran across your truck. I also see lots of different ways to lower it and since I'm new, could you tell me your thoughts on what I should do with a 2/4 lowering. I'm learning that I will not be able to use the spare tire on the front if I used lowering spindles.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some ATF down those holes and a light scrubbing to clean that up if you're really worried about it. If it were me I'd just coat the cylinder walls with some ATF - assemble and fire it up. Easy Peasy, but I'm no machinist (more of a redneck) so perform at your own risk.