Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks Like a Serious Problem..is it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have the castech heads???
If you do they are cracked, sorry.
Did you look around the bolt heads in the heads? did you check both heads?

I will bet money, if you replaced your heads you will fix all of your concerns. I have done several vehicles with this problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the castech logo look like? Does anyone have an example?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind, it looks like a logo of a AA battery:
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grumpy5.3
you have the castech heads???
If you do they are cracked, sorry.
Did you look around the bolt heads in the heads? did you check both heads?

I will bet money, if you replaced your heads you will fix all of your concerns. I have done several vehicles with this problem.
Checked around the bolt holes in both heads. All looked the same. All had oil around the holes, nothing looked washed.

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Nevermind, it looks like a logo of a AA battery:
Are there different logos? One of my heads has this logo, the other has what looks like interlocking G's.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJII
Dang it with all the conflicting answers! lol

When I changed the oil, there wasn't any coolant in it. Is it possible for it to be a cracked head if there's no coolant present?

I had several problems pop up at once, and i don't know how many are related.

1) Coolant loss. Was losing about 1/2 of the reservoir in a weeks worth of driving time. No external leaks. But found that the cap was not sealing to the bottle, so I replaced the bottle with a good one.

2) Smoke at startup. Could this be because of cracked head? I replaced valve stem seals, and all seems well.

3) Condition of valve covers. I thought for sure I had fixed the coolant loss problem until I saw the above stuff underneath the valve covers. Made me think it was a cracked head. I do have the heads that are in the TSB KMAN posted. But none of the oil return holes were washed clean, all were in the same condition.

So, I am not sure what the hell is going on. haha. Drove it pretty hard last night after I got it back together and did not lose any coolant. But only time will tell if it was in fact the overflow bottle, or if it is the heads.

Thanks guys
Well in lieu of this information, I agree with the others...the loss of coolant and white smoke at startup, along with the fact that you have one of the heads that coincides with the TSB now all points to a cracked head, sorry man, but it would be a good time to upgrade.

(it would have been nice if the coolant loss was mentioned in the first post...)

Last edited by budhayes3; 11-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:01 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

To the guys who have replaced numerous Castech heads on a daily basis and are very familiar in a hands-on scenario with this problem (not just being familiar with the TSB but the actual problem in real life), will removing the valve covers and pressure testing the system reveal the leak?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sucks man. Sorry to hear that.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Well in lieu of this information, I agree with the others...the loss of coolant and white smoke at startup, along with the fact that you have one of the heads that coincides with the TSB now all points to a cracked head, sorry man, but it would be a good time to upgrade.

(it would have been nice if the coolant loss was mentioned in the first post...)
There was no white smoke at startup, it was blue oil smoke.

Do not plan on upgrading this truck at all. It's my sisters. Would I be better off going with older 862 heads?

If this is such a problem, why didn't GM do a recall on these particular models? This really blows.

Since it looks inevitable, does the intake have to be removed to take off the heads?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by AJII
There was no white smoke at startup, it was blue oil smoke.

Do not plan on upgrading this truck at all. It's my sisters. Would I be better off going with older 862 heads?

If this is such a problem, why didn't GM do a recall on these particular models? This really blows.

Since it looks inevitable, does the intake have to be removed to take off the heads?
GM didn't do a recall because 1) it's not safety related and 2) it's not widespread enough to be of concern. it's a known problem that they found a fix for. They issued the TSB to help technicians diagnose vehicles with these symptoms. (heck, the problem may not occur until the vehicle is out of warranty anyway lol)

Yes the intake has to come off to do the heads, but it's no biggie.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Have you got the chance to remove the heads or do a pressure test to see if the leak came about or a crack showed up in the head?

Quick Reply: Looks Like a Serious Problem..is it???