Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Look at these plans and poke holes (09 5.3 'build')

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

btr or texas speed cam/dod delete package is the way to go. Itll remove the weak drivetrain and increase torque and hp.

leave the converter alone

obv full exhaust will get you decent amount of power but will be loud.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a little clip of my truck at idle for your enjoyment.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by b2sdad
The truck was tuned, but i'm not sure I really like it??I lost a ton of torque on the low end...That drives me nuts, I need to fix that somehow? Any ideas on how to improve the low end performance?
Did you lose the torque through the tune or the camshaft? A lopey cam like that trades off low end torque for top end horsepower. A good tuner can minimize that but a smaller drop in camshaft is more suitable for a big truck like yours.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swathdiver
Did you lose the torque through the tune or the camshaft? A lopey cam like that trades off low end torque for top end horsepower. A good tuner can minimize that but a smaller drop in camshaft is more suitable for a big truck like yours.

that’s the thing, I bought the truck and then immediately had all the work done at my friends shop, so I didn’t have a lot of drive time with it before all the upgrades. You do have a point, Suburbans are heavy, but since the BTR cam is already installed. I’m not taking it out, I have to figure something out to try and get some of the low end torque back.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have read an account by a fellow with HP Tuners that was able to fine tune his new camshaft and make it lope or not lope.

Now that the AFM parts are gone, a cam swap is easier and you would not have to pull the heads or the top end off, just the front.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I have read an account by a fellow with HP Tuners that was able to fine tune his new camshaft and make it lope or not lope.

Now that the AFM parts are gone, a cam swap is easier and you would not have to pull the heads or the top end off, just the front.

I am hoping for the very same thing. Im sure if we go through the afr numbers and recalibrate for the new CAI Intake and catback, we can smooth things out and restore a little bit of what was lost. As far as the cam lope is concerned, i like it where it is, but if we have to knock it down to restore some bottom end, then so be it.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

A loping camshaft sounds great but does not deliver its power down low, it makes its power high into its rpm band.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

OP: The TBSS and NNBS intake are the same thing. So doing a TBSS intake wouldn't change anything.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Teching In

A loping camshaft sounds great but does not deliver its power down low, it makes its power high into its rpm band.
Yeah, according to the website, it starts making power around 3000 rpm.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by b2sdad
Yeah, according to the website, it starts making power around 3000 rpm.
I rarely hit 3000 rpms while driving, you've got your work cut out for you.