Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

long tubes and off road y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long tubes and off road y pipe

i am planning on redoing my exhaust. right now i have pacesetter shorties and a flowmaster 40. i was thinking about buying the pacesetter long tubes and get the offroad y pipe that they make for it. will that make it sound louder? any idea on how much hp i should expect. i have a 2002 sierra 5.3L. also should i consider on get the different muffler. what about a magnflow the flow through one.

any ideas thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you have cats, and you get rid of them with the long tubes and y pipe then yeah it will be a great deal louder. You must get rid of the no-flowmaster. Magnaflow is a good choice. You can prolly expect a good gain like 15 hp with a tune.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there we go again with someoen bashing flowmaster and saying magnacrap. personally magnaflow soudns like crap it might flow 3hp more then flowmaster but ill give up 3hp to get a better sound.

majority of the mufflers ppl run are within 5hp of eachother. and that difference isnt noticed on your typical setups. its only when all out racing matters

personally i woudlnt run a maganflow if someone paid me, they sound just like a typical super turbo muffler which you can buy for 15 bucks but not stainless
Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

i got pacesetter lts, ory pipe and single chamber flowmaster race muffler turned down over the axle-it is VERY loud. hope this helps
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 AM
5 year bitches!

heress a sound clip of my truck with midlenghts, ORY and a flowmaste super 40

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...400b8c78a3.htm
Old 12-10-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good man
Old 12-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

sounds great. I see you guys talkin about flowmaster and magnaflow, how does the corsa measure up in your opinion. I also have stainless JBA shorties and im thinkin about gettin rid of my cats but would like to stay stainless because im surrounded by ocean (rust is crazy). Is there an easy way of just gettin rid of my cats in the stock y-pipe or does someone make an ory that fits like factory?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM
5 year bitches!

that full exhaust i had on there is forsale since its entirely too small for the new setup
Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine got louder but on the hwy they are hard to hear, i have a magnaflow and a bullet. i dynoed with 20 hp and tq
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

I think everyone has forgotten that Magnaflow has an inner wound metal mesh filling that is just begging to blow itself out someday. The inside has a straight through core, just like a cheapo glasspack.

I personally like designed, tuned, and tested baffled and chambered mufflers that are tuned for the vehicle. Thats what helps keep the resonance down, along with being double wrapped and fully welded.

Now, I don't like Flomaster's either, just because they seem to rust out faster than other mufflers, and everyone just buys the universal version with regular OE style bent tubing from a crappy muff shop. They sound terrible when the RPMs drop back to idle quickly, and you can pretty much bet there is ZERO HP gains when used with OE bent tubes and a universal Flo muff.

Thats my take on the muffler issue.

Quick Reply: long tubes and off road y pipe