Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted 98 K1500 5.7 3" xpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted 98 K1500 5.7 3" xpipe question

My truck has shorty headers with a pieced together ypipe right now and I am going to be changing it.

I already have a set of long tube Pacesetter headers, a universal x pipe kit and 2 3" Warlock mufflers. I have not removed the old exhaust, but at first glance I dont think I can use the xpipe with the crossover centered. I am thinking of using a configuration similar to the image attached, any one have experience with this setup?
Attached Thumbnails Lifted 98 K1500 5.7 3" xpipe question-exhaust.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTLD_LS1
My truck has shorty headers with a pieced together ypipe right now and I am going to be changing it.

I already have a set of long tube Pacesetter headers, a universal x pipe kit and 2 3" Warlock mufflers. I have not removed the old exhaust, but at first glance I dont think I can use the xpipe with the crossover centered. I am thinking of using a configuration similar to the image attached, any one have experience with this setup?
I wouldnt worry about the x pipe, look how much more pipe there is before the x-pipe on the drivers side as compared to the passenger side. Ideally you want equal amounts of pipe before the x or H pipe on both sides.

It would be better if you could run a h-pipe from 1 bank to the other just after the longtubes if thats possible.

You would see better gains form simply getting rid of the stock 1/2 ton 1 7/8" headpipes and going with aftermarket headpipes, or going with 3/4 ton headpipes.

The larger pipes and cats are the stock 3/4 ton Vortec 350 pipes, smaller are stock 1/2 ton Vortec 350 pipes.

Notice the stagger of teh stock cats, they are trying to keep the amount of pipe the same. Doing so helps with the tuning effects of the exhaust. This is esp. important if your headpipes are the same diameter as the header collector. If the pipe and collector diameter is teh same, the collector length is effectively terminated at the point where an obstruction or change in diameter is encountered. if pipes diameters are thesame, the effective collector length would be from the header collector until the cats. Collector length is part of tuning the exhaust.

I did LT's suing dual 2 1/2" pipes into dual 2 1/2" cats into a dual in/out muffler, then into dual 4" pipes out the side before the passenger side tire. That with a simple a/f ratio change only tune had major gains in off idle launching and all rpm power as compared to the stock
manifold/headpipe/cat and tune.

Just my opinion.

peace
Hog
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

If im running no cats as long as the mufflers are placed at thr rear of the truck at the same pipe length I should be okay right?