Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33 vs lq4 for swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 vs lq4 for swap?

Hello, post a thread when I first joined a week or so ago. And ive really got it narrowed down now to an L33 or LQ4.. I know which one most would go for based on raw numbers. In case everyone doesnt know the L33 has around 325hp amd 315 ft lbs of torque. (5.3) the lq4 has 300-325 hp and 350-370 ft lbs or torque (6.0)

Now, I'm really leaning on the L33 based on a number of reasons. Those are as follows:

1. All aluminum. 100lbs lighter then other vortec engines.
2. High compression ratio. Great for an n.a build
3. 799 heads. Basically the same as 243 on ls6 engines.
4. Less rotating mass will get going quicker.
5. Better mpg just cruising
6. Slightly lower torque to possibly be nicer to the 4l80e attatched to it.
7. Lower torque should have less wheel spin from a dig.

Mainly, i think the 6.0 would make too much torque for my application. Which is a 96 dakota. Its a long bed 4x4 with roughly 32" tires, 3:55 gears, and scales at about 4500lbs. Ya I know, what's too much torque. But I dont want to be eatinf the tires trying to put the power down. And I dont want to strain the 4l80 more then I already will be on a daily basis.

So, does my reasoning ration out given the info above? Given the truck came with a wheezy 318 with a.. Sit down for this.. 220 hp and 250 ft lbs of torquw new.. At the crank. I might be at 175hp and 200 ft lbs of torque now. And breaking the tires loose isn't that hard now. Bone stock the 6.0 will double those numbers with a tune. And I honestly just think its kind of wasted power. So the l33 seems to be great for my needs. Though I imagine some day either one would get a little help to it. And thats the other thing about the L33. I wouldn't have to spend money on a head upgrade.

Maybe I'm talking I'm circles. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself less cubes is actually good. But I would like opinions.

Theres only a $200 difference between the two set ups. Both would come with vats amd emissions deleted, standalone harness, e fan, amd 4l80e transmission on a turn key pallet. And that's really appealing to me taking out some of the leg work and wait time.

Ok, I'm done now. Help me out here lol

Thank you
Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The L33 should be like 310/335 for power/torque but maybe the crate engine package you talk about uses different cam specs or has a slight upgrade in power.

Either engine will work great and in theory the smaller engine should net more city and highway mpg based on the displacement.

Neither engine will even begin to put a strain on a 4L80e, they are twice as strong if not more than the much weaker 4L60e transmissions. Even if you decided to add power later on the transmission would be the least of your concerns, unless you really really wanted to push for power. Like double or more than the power either of those two engines make.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
The L33 should be like 310/335 for power/torque but maybe the crate engine package you talk about uses different cam specs or has a slight upgrade in power.

Either engine will work great and in theory the smaller engine should net more city and highway mpg based on the displacement.

Neither engine will even begin to put a strain on a 4L80e, they are twice as strong if not more than the much weaker 4L60e transmissions. Even if you decided to add power later on the transmission would be the least of your concerns, unless you really really wanted to push for power. Like double or more than the power either of those two engines make.
not a crate, turn key pallet engine set up.

However, I just read an l33 post. And a guy had some nice work to the l33, and he dynoed 300/300 with 373s and 32's. That's not where I want to be. I'd like to be 350/350 or better.

The l33 is just so appealing being all aluminum and flat top pistons with 799 heads.. Maybe I should ask them how more am lq9 would be.. Damn 1st world problems..lol
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Crate, pallet whats the difference really. It's a pre-setup drop in unit stuff.

Either engine would require mods to make 350/350 tire but the 6.0 would take far less to get you there. Just a cam swap on a 6.0 might right there horsepower wise and torque will be far higher for sure. Of course further tuning and stuff like that will be needed too.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The L33 is rated at 310 hp and 335 ft lbs torque. This is not rear wheel horsepower, rather, it is power at the flywheel. Your goal can be reached with that engine with a tune, headers/exhaust and a mild truck cam.

My LC9 is essentially a Gen IV L33, same camshaft profile, and it makes 302 rear wheel horsepower with only a mild tune by BlackBear.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by swathdiver
The L33 is rated at 310 hp and 335 ft lbs torque. This is not rear wheel horsepower, rather, it is power at the flywheel. Your goal can be reached with that engine with a tune, headers/exhaust and a mild truck cam.

My LC9 is essentially a Gen IV L33, same camshaft profile, and it makes 302 rear wheel horsepower with only a mild tune by BlackBear.
yea, I understand the factory power ratings. But after reading what a guy had done to his l33 and dynoed 300hp/300 ft lbs of torque, with the work he claimed to have done, was under whelming. Maybe he still had a factory tune and nothing was optimised?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
Crate, pallet whats the difference really. It's a pre-setup drop in unit stuff.

Either engine would require mods to make 350/350 tire but the 6.0 would take far less to get you there. Just a cam swap on a 6.0 might right there horsepower wise and torque will be far higher for sure. Of course further tuning and stuff like that will be needed too.
ya looks like the lq4 is going to be the ticket. I just hope there's not excessive power that just ends up going in tire smoke.

Either set up I plan on a good dyno tune or black bear tune. Especially the tune for the trans would be done.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

It's possible that the combination of parts does not work, was not optimized or that the dyno used is not reading correctly. Don't let one guy's experience sour yours, seek multiple sources. The LQ4 might be better anyway save for fuel economy.

My rear wheel horsepower was obtained not by a dyno but by a math formula using my trap speed from drag racing with the vehicle's weight that night.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by swathdiver
It's possible that the combination of parts does not work, was not optimized or that the dyno used is not reading correctly. Don't let one guy's experience sour yours, seek multiple sources. The LQ4 might be better anyway save for fuel economy.

My rear wheel horsepower was obtained not by a dyno but by a math formula using my trap speed from drag racing with the vehicle's weight that night.
true. He also didn't say if he used 87 or 93 octane. I plan on having the tune maxed out for 93 octane.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trans

Forget worrying about the trans,
you will never hurt that 4L80E.
with the wimpy setup you plan
to build. I'm still running a 4L60E
behind a built 6.2. no prob.

Quick Reply: L33 vs lq4 for swap?