Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33 break in questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default L33 break in questions....

Hey guys i had a couple threads floating around about the l33 i was building and i finally got it done and installed in the truck. I have put about 350 miles on it so far and i have some questions. Before i begin i will say that Black bear made me a tune where i could safely run it and break it in before i get his data logging equipment. I also installed a Elite engineering catch can before its first start.

1. When the motor is warm and i cut it off, if i go back to start it while the engine is still warm (up to 2-3 hours) it will crank and then start to spudder and die. The rpm's will "hunt" up and down as much as 300-400 rpms before it dies. I have to hold a little throttle on it to keep it running for a minute or two before it will idle on its own. Is this tune related? Because once it gets to the point it idles on its own it will drive normally and runs really good. This only occurs when starting it warm.

2. The engine only has about 350 miles on it and i have already had to add a quart and half of oil to it. I havent been ******* it real hard but i have done several pulls up to 4k-4.5k rpms, and a handful up to 3k-3.5k rpms. Have the rings not seated yet? Also as noted above i installed the catch can before i even cranked the engine. I have emptied it 3 times so far and its been over 3/4 full every time empty it. Its dark blackish oil coming out even though the oil on the dipstick is clear-gold. Why am i sucking so much oil into the catch can? I am using the fixed orfice pcv valve covers and i drilled the orfice out a little bit on the valve cover if that makes a difference??? I did not puncture the little tray on the underside of the valce cover though. All help is appreciated guys. I have no ses light and i changed the oil the first time after its first run cycle. Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you seat the rings properly on first start up?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On first start up i let it idle to warm up to operating temp and then i adjusted the cruise control canle so it would "fast idle" at about 1800-2000 rpms for another 15 minutes. I returned idle to normal for a couple minutes then killed it and changed the oil.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default idle

I had a idle prob with mine after a cam change, similar to yours
had to make an adjustment in the PCM idle calibrations with HP-Tuners
that sounds like an awful lot of oil blow by and use.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i have talked with a local, very reputable tuner and he said it certainly sounded like a problem with the tune.

I am also concerened with the amount in the catch can and how much its using. Its using about .5 qt every 100-120 miles. Today i did my first wot runs. I did 4 of them within 15-20 miles of each other. It has about 460 miles on it so far. Im really hoping to see a drastic change in the oil issue soon. Im going to be kind of hard on the engine everytime i drive it from now on. I should deff see an improvement before i have 1000 miles on the engine.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A little update: i changed the oil today with 490 miles on it and it cane out DARK! Like almost black. Im pretty sure it was combustion by-product or blow by. Either way i changed the oil and filter and will keep an eye on it. Im doing a lot of engine breaking to try and seat the rings.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot determine your engine's health due to its oils color. There is no way to know how heat and pressure will affect any given oil. Assuming there is no coolant in it or other major factor involved, a few hundred miles of break in has not trashed the oil, even on an poorly running engine.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dump the oil after the first 30 minutes. Then after the first 100 miles. Then after the next 500 miles. cut the filter open each time and look for debris. Conventional oil only.

Put the truck in 1st and do 5 pulls to 4500 and then drop your foot off the gas and coast back to a crawl. That'll help seat the rings.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

run it to red line under load to seat the rings if you dont seat them early on youll be fucked for later

as for stalling its a start up black bear tune, its to be expected
Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. The comment i made about the oil was just saying that the blow by from the unseated rings had turned my oil black in around 470 miles. I did several 2nd gear pulls up to 6k rpms and let it engine brake back to about 1500 rpms. I will be driving the truck more on thursday and friday so i will report back on anything else i come up with. Im sure the hard engine braking helped a lot because after 5-6 hard pulls the catch can wasnt as full as it usually is. Im going to beat on it a little more thursday and hopefully i will be about done with the piston rings.

Quick Reply: L33 break in questions....