Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to jet-hot or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to jet-hot or not

I just purchased a set of used dynatech lts for my 03 ss silverado and would like to know if you guys believe in doing this? I have been in contact with the people from jet-hot and they garuantee no flaking even internally. Its gonna run around 260 bucks plus shipping. I know in the import world this is a must but with my last car the TB sat right above the exhaust manifold.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have heard nothing but good things about jet hot coating. I really think it depends on how much you are willing to pay for everything ( cost of headers + cost of coating ).
Old 12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

If the idea of lower underhood temps appeal to you, then go for it. But for a N/A vehicle, I rank it up there with gold plated turd.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unredeemed
If the idea of lower underhood temps appeal to you, then go for it. But for a N/A vehicle, I rank it up there with gold plated turd.
I agree. I think in any kind of FI it is a worthwhile investment. I wish I wouldve had my Thorley's coated. When it gets warmer out, I believe they wouldve helped performance.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I debated this when I bought my Dynatech LTs. One of their tech guys told me that less than 1% of Dynatech's customer's have them coat the new headers and that they sub out to Jet-Hot for special orders. I decided to leave mine uncoated.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

When you have a turbo charged truck, retaining as much heat inside your manifold is a must, then I could see coating being needed. You want the heat to be there and not lost through your pipes. It's the heat that helps the exhaust gasses moving.

For a supercharged truck or a N/A (normally aspirated) vehicle, coating wouldn't be needed unless
1. You have money to burn
2. You want to keep underhood temps down
3. Your headers are mild steel, or not SS steel and prone to rusting.
4. *Optional thought... You were suckered into the marketing of JetHot.

If you were to chose a coating though, please take a look at Swaintech as their coatings are much thicker and more durable. They also do other coatings for pistons and other internal engine pieces.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

jet-hot is a must...you'll never be sorry
Old 12-18-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've got dynatech;s and I wish I had them jet-hotted, might do it this spring anyway. I do occasionally get a slow response code from the 02 sensors. jet hot would eliminate this. I just reset the code with autotap.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

yes ceramic coat it every race car we have it coated best investment you can buy i can touch my headers on my dragster after about 3 min after i made a pass chrome or anything but coated couldn't for atleast 20 min burn you to hell and since my headers are out in the open theres been many of times ive bumped across it and if it wasn't for the coating i would of had burns
Old 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

I work for Peterbilt at the Madison, Tennessee truck assembly plant. They use Jet-hot to coat their exhaust. Of all the examples I've seen of their work , I've never seen anything crappy. If you plan on keeping the truck and want your headers to stay looking nice , I'd say go for it. You probably won't ever have to buy another set of headers for as long as you own it.

Quick Reply: to jet-hot or not