Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake Shoot-out w/Dyno Charts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 04:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya man

I just trust dynos about as far as I could throw one. If you take 1 car and go to 3 different dynos on the same day you will often come out with 3 different #s. Or using 1 dyno but on different days can yeald different results due to calibration activity. Just to many damned variables to track small HP gains.

That being said I pretty much only trust the data coming from DynoDynamic machines, DynaPac and some Mustang Dynos but it all depends on the operator as well.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey- are they even racing tonight at HRP ?!!!? I see they're racing, but it looks like sanctioned ****, not just street racing.... anybody know for sure ??

78 Silv, thanks, man !!!! Glad someone liked it !!!!!!

I kinda see the point of the dyno comparison, but I still think they carry some value- more than was given here .

But F8L hates all dynos, so I'd have never won !!!!!!!

F8L, Quadrasteer adds about 200lbs. And it's basically all unsprung weight on the rear axle. I calculated my weight from the max load capacity minus payload- that's the way to do it right ?? My truck comes in at around 5800lbs. My new tires are easily 20lbs heavier each, that's 5900, plus my hitch and straps and ****. I'd love to know for sure, tho.

It's all good, gang. No hard feelings towards anyone on my part, and it remained a moderately decent discussion throughout, which in itself says something about everyone involved. You're all a bunch of crackpots. NO !!! I mean, you're all probably a good bunch of folks I wouldn't mind meeting and racing with.

So, anyone know for sure 'bout Saturday racing at HRP ??? All I saw was the O'Reilly ET series thing going.... Someone please confirm for me or I ain't driving all the way out there. There's the clobberthon at HMP, right ?? That mans no streetracing there, too, huh ??? Phookers !!!!!

Who wants to hook up tonight ?!!?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I hear ya man

I just trust dynos about as far as I could throw one. If you take 1 car and go to 3 different dynos on the same day you will often come out with 3 different #s. Or using 1 dyno but on different days can yeald different results due to calibration activity. Just to many damned variables to track small HP gains.

That being said I pretty much only trust the data coming from DynoDynamic machines, DynaPac and some Mustang Dynos but it all depends on the operator as well.

Yea I got ya man. Its all good. I dunno wat dyno e got in ODessa, Texas but in a few days ima proly go lay down my 4.8l. Wat do those usually make stock?

And no problem smoke, anytime.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
It needs to be compared to a k&n system and others like it. The volants just plain dont work on the dyno but I can tell you from the sotp meter they give a nice gain in my buddies truck. 440$ for a piece of sheetmetal a plastic tube and an ebay filter they out of their f---ing mind. My intake has an ebay heat shield(looks exactly like the afe one) a k&n conical filter and an airaid mit all for about 120 bucks those people are crazy!!!
FWIW, most SOTP meters aren't worth a ****. I'd rather pay $400 for something that works than $200 for something that doesn't. Truckin' magazine got 50rwtq from an AFE filter on their Powerstroke build up....an air filter alone...50! BTW, how does your 1500 Z71 weigh 5600lbs? Just wondering, cause my 2wd ECSB weighted 4800 as it sits. I can tell you that my AEM made 13rwhp on the dyno, and the average gain in ET I saw has been .15 seconds. It was $240.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Well, didn't make it to HRP tonight, got too late of a start. But did make it to HMP. Had the clobberthon going, so I felt a little out of place, but there was a couple other trucks, so it wasn't so bad

In any case... ran like **** . Guess the heat and especially the humidity just sucked all the go out. Best I could muster was a 10.37 with a 2.35 60'. I've gone 10.02 with 2.2 60' times before there...

I did line up with an 05 GMC 1/2t crew w/5.3 (iron block). Beat him by two lengths.

Ehh.... another day. Still a good time- had some BAD ***** cars out there

Happy trails, gang
Old 06-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I'm not calling BS, but I do find those #'s hard to believe. I have made over 200 runs on our Dyno Jet, w'/ my truck. I have Dyno'd alot of cars, and seen everything under the sun, to try to gain HP through AI's. I have never seen more than 30(streatching it)tuned HP gained. The most power I ever made was 256WHP ie: Stock filter box open, no filter, fan blowing directly into stock (choker) tube. I Always make 243 reguardless of Air temp.
As for consistancy in Dyno's, DynoJet has been the dyno of choice for NASCAR for the past 15yr+. If they see the wrong HP per RPM, that car is getting torn down.
Even when changing elevation +/- 5kft. I have only seen 5-10 HP difference. Any Dyno that ask for your weight, can't be that consistant IMO. It's alawys best to use the SAME Dyno reguardless what make. Traveling (mobile) Dyno's tend to be more inaccurate (read higher) for the (crowd pleasing effect), 8 of 10 people that use our Dyno usually make less than they "hope" to make.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokeydoge
Hey- are they even racing tonight at HRP ?!!!? I see they're racing, but it looks like sanctioned ****, not just street racing.... anybody know for sure ??

78 Silv, thanks, man !!!! Glad someone liked it !!!!!!

I kinda see the point of the dyno comparison, but I still think they carry some value- more than was given here .

But F8L hates all dynos, so I'd have never won !!!!!!!

F8L, Quadrasteer adds about 200lbs. And it's basically all unsprung weight on the rear axle. I calculated my weight from the max load capacity minus payload- that's the way to do it right ?? My truck comes in at around 5800lbs. My new tires are easily 20lbs heavier each, that's 5900, plus my hitch and straps and ****. I'd love to know for sure, tho.

It's all good, gang. No hard feelings towards anyone on my part, and it remained a moderately decent discussion throughout, which in itself says something about everyone involved. You're all a bunch of crackpots. NO !!! I mean, you're all probably a good bunch of folks I wouldn't mind meeting and racing with.

So, anyone know for sure 'bout Saturday racing at HRP ??? All I saw was the O'Reilly ET series thing going.... Someone please confirm for me or I ain't driving all the way out there. There's the clobberthon at HMP, right ?? That mans no streetracing there, too, huh ??? Phookers !!!!!

Who wants to hook up tonight ?!!?

FWIW I weighed my truck on a highway scale and got 6050 lbs with me in it. Take out 200# for you know who and that leaves a truck weight of 5850 lbs. pretty much stock when the truck was new. So with quadrasteer smokeydoge's truck could be a couple of hundred lbs more.
Well I see his is 2WD so maybe the weight would be close to even.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok 1st off Im glad your happy and you have somehting that is workign for you thats whwta it ti all about! Now! The 1st tune I got was from Westers(mail order obviously)The 93 ocatane most hp tune and has a 30 day money back garuntee I said Ill go ahead and order a Nelson tune also. So I put a quick 400 miles ont he Westers tune in 2 weeks and then I odered a Nelson tune 93 ocatne but later came to find out it only had 60% TM removed. I also put 400 miles on the Nelson tune. Lets just say I sent the Westers tune back. I didnt do any dyno or track comaprisons but I diont have to there was a noticable difference and even more once all the TM was removed witht he same exact mods a few weeks later. Lyndon was really nice and helpful guy Im not contesting that. And dont jump and say Im a "Nelson Guy" because Im not. Im a "who makes my truck run the strongest and best kinda of guy"! i dont even have a Nelson tun anymore and no i dont tune myself I went with a 3rd tuner for the same truck. Ive had issues with Nelson and I would tell someone to research the **** out of a tuner before you use them and see what direction your going in. Unless you went to Canada to get a dyno tune you didnt pick up 50+rwhp from a tune and I doubt that would haappen if you did dyno tune. I call Shenanagins on the tune! The intake I care nothing about!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisxotic
As for consistancy in Dyno's, DynoJet has been the dyno of choice for NASCAR for the past 15yr+. If they see the wrong HP per RPM, that car is getting torn down.
Even when changing elevation +/- 5kft. I have only see 5-10 HP difference. Any Dyno that ask for your weight, can't be that consistant IMO. It's alawys best to use the SAME Dyno reguardless what make. Traveling (mobile) Dyno's tend to be more inaccurate (read higher) for the (crowd pleasing effect), 8 of 10 people that use our Dyno usually make less than they "hope" to make.
i am with chrisxotic on the dyno debate. if you want CONSISTANT numbers go with a dynojet. i am talking consistant from dyno to dyno, diferent temps, diferent elevations, all that stuff. checking diferent intakes is a perfect job for a dynojet. checking the progress of your mods over time is another great use.

they can fudge the numbers on any dyno.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Lets see a dynojet simulate a street tune.. :p

They have their places but with regards to load simulation and WOT at held low RPM testing they are no good. For those who do street tuning for everything but WOT that's fine but in my area it's getting too dangerous to do.

In my area I have a bunch of dynos to choose from so I'm not basing opinion on the fact that i only have 1 mustang dyno and 1 dynojet or 1 Dynodynamics or DynaPac. Only sampling one facility can be problematic because just like Crhis stated. It's easy to have 1 dyno that's inconsitant but have all others be the same. Only way you can figure that out is if you have a lot of the same type in your area and see what the average is.

I digress. My point is that using 2 different dynos at 2 different dates is not conclusive evidence. Epsecially because Dynojets seem to show the most vaiance from unit to uni.. This could be mostly due to high HP cars that i am used to seeing because of wheel slip and the fact that high HP cars whip through a WOT run in less than 1/2 the time it would take on the street. To me that doesn't seem like an acurate way to measure but hey, if we all agreed there would only be one dyno out there right? Also keep in mind that the EFI tuning gurus out there that actually go to shops and TEACH people how to tune WILL NOT do so unless you have 1 of 2 types of dynos and a Dynojet isn't one of them.

As long as you pride yourself on bringing the most accurate measurments you possibly can then you've already made your particular dyno worth more in my mind.

Quick Reply: Intake Shoot-out w/Dyno Charts