Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake Shoot-out w/Dyno Charts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Shoot-out w/Dyno Charts

I'm too lazy to retype this all, but here's the highlights- Wester's tune and aFe intake were worth 68hp and 50lbs tq !!!

aFe intake made 14.6hp over the Volant, over 20hp more than stock airbox.

aFe also moved my torque peak down by 400rpm, from 4100 to 3700rpm

Wester's tune alone looked to be worth about 53.2hp and 45.7lbs

Anyway... any doubt now, boyz ?!!!?

Went from 235hp/280tq to 303hp/329tq with a tune and intake for under $1000. But not just any tune....

....say it with me, gang.....

Wester's

Who's yo daddy now ?!!!?

I play. Anyway, here's the whole thing, with charts and all

GMT post with charts
Old 06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Never heard of an AFE intake, maybe I am just retarded. Whats the main difference between the AFE and Volant. Also, the volants have been known to dyno a little low because of the enclosed airbox.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been looking at the AFE since I started my new job back 2 months ago. That AFE is what Im gonna get after I get my tranny done!
Old 06-25-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

20+ rwhp with just an intake...... I find that hard to belive. Are there any links to thiis AFE intake?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

The things that set the aFe apart from the Volant include the way it all fits together- all the pieces are machined/molded so there is as seamless a transition from one piece to the other. Super smooth all the way thru with no obstructions.

By comparison, the stock system, and the Volant, since it reuses the stock rubber couplers (I feel like I'm repeating myself... did ya read the post ??), has about a 1/4" ridge, the entire inner diameter of the tube, in two different places, totally obstructing flow.

Additionally, the aFe has a sweet cone filter, a lot bigger than the Volant (which by the way, was running an aFe filter- go figure !!) overall, but with a neck over an inch bigger in diameter, it also has pleats on the top to draw air from.

There's a super-sweet aluminum venturi piece that necks the filter down to the tube diameter. In theory, when you take air and squeeze it thru a smaller tube, you increase the velocity and, again, in theory, create a positive pressure.

Tiburon, I know it's pretty hard to believe, but I just showed you the dyno sheet- what else ya want ?!!? Same day, same dyno, heat-soak included.

My system. But for some reason, that ain't my filter. Mine's recessed at the top with more filter material.

advanced Flow engineering

Read the link- I broke down the gains with each intake, when the pulls were made, etc.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Im never buying a K&N filter again. Greens filters kick ***! Ive seen alot of intakes, the AFE was the better built of them all. When I checked out the AFE for my truck, the end of the filter was actually open where thats not depicted in that picture.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

Again, it looks like a Volant without the complete box. I cannot see any single intake being that much more than the other. Unless you get a true ram air.......
I dont know, I do know that it was apparent that the volants did not do well on a dyno, but the street testing did well..... Plus the fact that its MORE expensive than the volant which I thought was way over priced anyways.......

Also, which volant did you test gen 1 or gen 2?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

the system looks like this:

but the filter looks like this :

Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

OCBC, this was a gen 1 Volant. I know they were redesigned. Obvious why....
Old 06-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Teching In

I don't know if I am spitting out stuff that has been heard before but I hear that AFE stands for All Former Employees in reference to them being all former K&N engineers. Supposedly they are making huge gains over any other intake on the market but are crazy expensive. I may just try flogging a comparison on my dyno jet to justify the claims.

Quick Reply: Intake Shoot-out w/Dyno Charts