Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

im stumped, need help

Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default im stumped, need help

ok so here is the lay out. 5.7 trick turbo stg3, boost controller, dual 255 pumps with hot wire kit, an coil relocate kit. Ok so with KOEO I have 60psi while the pump primes but goes to 0PSI almost immeditally after it primes ( one way check valve on oder an should be here today or tomorrow). with that said while cranking I have 60 PSI. Go to stat the truck it starts then dies almost instantly. I have spark while cranking, I have injector pulse while cranking but it gets weaker the more time it turns over. ( on a battery charger so voltage is good. no leaks at all. bypassed VATS by hard wiring it. I have zero codes. I have the correct Voltage at the ignition moduel, all sensors an grounds are installed, have power to coils, all connectors are in the correct place. have power to the pcm. Im stumped at what it can be. did a leak down test, everything is good. plugs gapped to 28, compression test is 120 on cylinders. also have an xlink. but I hear the TB actuate and no codes for TB or reduce engine power Can anyone help or give me some ideas I can try or test? thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Is your MAF connected or are you SD?

Is your temp sensor connected at the side of the head?

If SD, add 5% fuel (to the VE table) from 400-1200rpm until it starts.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I forgot that. I went from MAF to SD. And I don’t have any tuning software. But I’ll see if the tuner will do it for me. And yes the engine temp sensor is plugged in.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I had a similar issue when I had my Whipple and went to SD.

Would not start to save my life. @Atomic helped me with it.

My VE table was in the 50s at idle. We had to keep increasing it until it started and that put me in high 70s, low 80s.

I’m betting there isn’t enough fuel to get it going.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I sure do hope that’s it! I’m pulling the remaining of my hair out to figure this out lol thank you for the advice. I’ll keep you posted on the out come
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Let’s just say this don’t work. Any other ideas it might be?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

If you're dropping fuel pressure that fast the check valves in the pumps have failed or you may have a hole/leak in a fuel line in the tank, saw that about a month ago on a coworkers car. Pulled his pump and the line from the pump inside the module had a small hole in it.

Could also be an injector stuck wide open dropping your fuel pressure. But you'd likely have hydro locking issues if that were the case

I'd get that fuel pressure issue worked out first then go from there, you may not be supplying enough pressure/flow to get it/keep it running. You could spray brake/carb clean or starting fluid in it and if it keeps running as you spray it you know it's a fuel issue.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

They are brand new pumps but I know that don’t mean anything. But I have the pumps just sitting in a bucket of fuel because I thought the same thing you did with the pump. And it was a problem it was actually pucking fuel out of the fuel Y block so I added more pressure to the crimp, it still has a tiny leak but I didn’t think that would be enough to cause a problem as I still had 60psi at cranking speed. I know you can use the fuel regulator as if your adding fuel to the VE table. So I bumped it up 10psi then tried to start it. seem to want to stay running longer as I repeated this process but ran out of regulator at 100psi lol so I’m hoping adding 5% to the VE table through the tune will help along with fixing that tiny leak
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

You could pinch off the fuel line if it's rubber and see if the system holds pressure.

Hit the key and as soon as there is pressure clamp the hose and turn the key off and see if it holds. You really need to fix that leak, even a small leak will drop the pressure quite a bit and the scaling for the injectors is pretty sensitive to fuel pressure
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Ok I’ll give that a try in a few minutes. I do have a check valve on the way so it won’t bleed off as well. But I’m goin to try that an see what happens .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: im stumped, need help