Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

idle issue - suggestions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle issue - suggestions welcome

so those of you in houston know it flooded all hell and heaven yesterday.....

anyway, to cut it short, had to go through about a foot of water, and im positive some water got in the exhaust, tho I intentional kept on it......but my idle hasnt liked it since I pulled out of it......service engine light is on.....

I checked everything I pretty much can here...... made sure the CAI wasnt leaking of any sort.....from the filter to the TB, its fine. Starts up fine, checked the plugs.....can't imagine much water got in the engine bay, if any.....all belts are on, none slipped off......and last, I reset the computer. Seems to have helped a bit, service engine light hasnt come back on yet.

Id imagine water inside the mufflers will affect the computer and play with the idle some? If thats the case, then its the problem. It spitting good when I gas it at idle. I'm just trying to figure out if this is, simply from water still in the mufflers and its playing with the computer.

im sure some of you have gone through this before, so any suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Question Any possibility that the IAC got water on it ?

Dunno about modern electronic connectors, but in the good old days of caps & rotors a common trick was to spray WD40 to dry 'em out.

I wonder if you could do the same, but this time disconnect the Idle Air Control connector, spray, & reconnect.

I'd also look at the plug wires where they attach to the coils, if you have not already done so.

My .02 would be that any water in the exhaust would be blown out fairly rapidly - I guess that that could wreak havoc w/ O2 sensors, but dunno.

Oh, did you check all the fluids to make sure no water got anywhere bad ?

I did on the 4X Suburban last night ('91 - old body style) w/ the exception of the front wheel bearings, which will require removal of the front tires & rotor.

To be done at a later date !

Good Luck !

Britt

P.S. Where were you at ?

I was playing around at Beechnut & Bissonnet in that flooded subdivision to the North of Beechnut.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

the thing with my mufflers is that they're upright and parallel [] [], so water can definitely sit in them..hmmm

I'll check the IAC, though will be completely surprised if thats the issue.....

and I wasnt far from you at all lol.......I was in the beechnut/wilcrest area.....though the water I went through was the corporate st./59 area(sugarland)....(had to go that way JUST to get towards beechnut)