Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

An Idea for Westers Vs. Nelson

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Idea for Westers Vs. Nelson

This is my thinking.......

My truck is still getting mods, but if someone who is done with the performance mods on their truck (or has no plans for more than a year) then this idea will work.

Assuming our test pilot already has either a Nelson's or a Westers, why not call Lyndon and Allen, get two fresh PCM's from them. Whichever one you dont have you'll have to pay for, but stick with me on this....

Take the two PCM's either give them BOTH NO Learn time, or Both the same miles with as close to the same driving as possible for Learn time.

Then go to the dyno and make 3 pulls with each. Drive your truck to the dyno let it sit for 30, do 3 pulls with one. Then swap PCM's let the truck set again for 30 min (or whatever cool down time you want, just make sure its equal for both). Then do 3 pulls with the other.

Then compare the numbers, use averages of each to compare. If you have one that detonates then throw out the lowest for the other etc (standard comparison rules apply).

Then keep which ever one is better.

If its the one you already had then thats great. For the cost of some dyno time and shipping (to get the PCM to you) you will know you have the best.

If its the one you didnt have, then you keep the other one and it cost you, but you took one for the team and learned a VERY valueable lesson for the rest of us.

Since both have the 30 day money back promise, if you find the one you have is better then just send the other one back and get your refund.

Or if someone has the standard bolt on's but no PCM they could order both test them the same way and keep the one that was best. Then get a refund on the other. This requires a large investment at one time, but you would get half back as soon as you finish the test.

My point is this the 30 day trial is there for a reason. Take advantage of it.

This would even be better for someone who has a dyno then they could lower or eliminate that expense and it would cost nothing but shipping.

I think its essential to make this comparison with strictly bolt on mods, and maybe a cam. Otherwise the numbers may not be consistant for most of the people who are intersted in the results.

Just My Opnion.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Default Got a test vehicle for Westers-Nelson showdown!

How about a showdown on my stock 04 Sierra 5.3, no mods (YET). I'll hold off on the mods until dyno runs are done & buy the winning PCM. Then I'll post #s to let all know. Be moving to Eglin AFB (near Pensacola, FL) in July any LS1tech member from around there can be there to verify the results. Only drawback is I won't be back from the sandbox until mid June though...
What a deal--ha!

Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

go for it. i have already paid for both.and i am faster with nelsons. you will need to ask someone to dish out some duckies for that.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Since it is your idea, why don't you try it?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Launching!

I will, but not until i'm done modding. Westers works great for me, and even if Nelsons is faster it will be the last thing I try, because right now my money goes towards things I dont already have.