Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

IAT Sensor Relocate with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j_ahlheim
forgive my stupidity but what does it do different moving it from the maf to the pipe a foot away? I got a intake setup like yours so i'm curious.
Minimize Heatsoak....
Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Launching!

any numbers showing the difference?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastgmc98
Minimize Heatsoak....
I'm not trying to start **** here, but how does moving the IAT sensor out of a plastic MAF, and into a metal intake tube that is CLOSER to the engine going to minimize heatsoak?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I'm not trying to start **** here, but how does moving the IAT sensor out of a plastic MAF, and into a metal intake tube that is CLOSER to the engine going to minimize heatsoak?
Yes, the MAF sensor gets heatsoaked and lies about IATs also, but really the closer you run the IAT sensor to the throttle body(or cylinder for the matter) the more accurate input is to the PCM... Also MAF IAT's are not as quick respoding to the temp changes. IMO... I will be installing a relocated IAT sensor into my EGR block off plate sometime soon..
Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I question the idea that the IAT sensor will be any more "responsive" than in the MAF.

Reasoning:
The thing that has always been pointed out to me by engine builders is to consider the actual time period that the air spends in contact with any one section. At WOT, the air speeds through any one part of the system makes temperature contact with that area is all but insignificant. Yes, SOME heat is bound to be transferred to/from the air/part but it's not by anything to even consider. People point to the plastic intakes as being "cooler" than aluminum, but that's bogus. In the end, the plastic intake will be just as hot, it just takes longer due to plastics rate of transfer. On the flip side, it takes longer to cool down plastic than it does aluminum so the "bag-O-ice" trick people do at the track is less effective on plastic. Plastic intakes are for WEIGHT REDUCTION.

If you consider the MAF as being "heatsoaked", then that metal intake pipe will be just as "heatsoaked". In the end, it does not matter if it's plastic (MAF) or metal (intake tube), everything heats up. Even the little rubber grommet will "heatsoak", again, it just takes longer due to transfer rates.

I have watched the IAT sensor temps on my F-body (which uses this exact sensor mounted in the filter cover from the factory) and it DOES NOT change all that fast. It will "heat up" sitting in traffic or in a parking lot (100degrees) and then won't really change any for at least 30seconds-to-a min or so of driving. Then it slowly starts to drop down to atmospheric temps with constant driving (highway).

Conclusion:
IAT temps are all about the temperature of the housing and NOT the temperature of the air passing it itself (other than the air temp can raise or lower the housing temp).

Now that I have said all of that, I like you ingenuity. Based on personal experience, I can't imagine it really does anything but I'm open to being showed otherwise. IF it shows a positive result, then I hope to see the results as I'm always for improvements. Regardless, nice job on the install.

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 06-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I question the idea that the IAT sensor will be any more "responsive" than in the MAF.

Reasoning:
The thing that has always been pointed out to me by engine builders is to consider the actual time period that the air spends in contact with any one section. At WOT, the air speeds through any one part of the system makes temperature contact with that area is all but insignificant. Yes, SOME heat is bound to be transferred to/from the air/part but it's not by anything to even consider. People point to the plastic intakes as being "cooler" than aluminum, but that's bogus. In the end, the plastic intake will be just as hot, it just takes longer due to plastics rate of transfer. On the flip side, it takes longer to cool down plastic than it does aluminum so the "bag-O-ice" trick people do at the track is less effective on plastic. Plastic intakes are for WEIGHT REDUCTION.

If you consider the MAF as being "heatsoaked", then that metal intake pipe will be just as "heatsoaked". In the end, it does not matter if it's plastic (MAF) or metal (intake tube), everything heats up. Even the little rubber grommet will "heatsoak", again, it just takes longer due to transfer rates.

I have watched the IAT sensor temps on my F-body (which uses this exact sensor mounted in the filter cover from the factory) and it DOES NOT change all that fast. It will "heat up" sitting in traffic or in a parking lot (100degrees) and then won't really change any for at least 30seconds-to-a min or so of driving. Then it slowly starts to drop down to atmospheric temps with constant driving (highway).

Conclusion:
IAT temps are all about the temperature of the housing and NOT the temperature of the air passing it itself (other than the air temp can raise or lower the housing temp).

Now that I have said all of that, I like you ingenuity. Based on personal experience, I can't imagine it really does anything but I'm open to being showed otherwise. IF it shows a positive result, then I hope to see the results as I'm always for improvements. Regardless, nice job on the install.
Yeah, I agree it's not just about heat soak, we know when you go from say idling to WOT it's not going to cool intake piping, and we don't need it to, like you said heat transfer is minimal at WOT. Though we know it'll be cooler air (closer to ambient temp) at WOT then it was when we where sitting around at idle. We want the PCM to know that asap, and I have seen data from years ago, even on this forum, that the relocated "quick response" (no gunk on the end) IAT sensor, will show more realistic IAT's (closer to ambient), and faster than a MAF mounted one at WOT. Is it really worth it?? Who knows.. I guess it's just one of those every little bit counts, kind of mods? lol
Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MustangPunk
. We want the PCM to know that asap, and I have seen data from years ago, even on this forum, that the relocated "quick response" (no gunk on the end) IAT sensor, will show more realistic IAT's (closer to ambient), and faster than a MAF mounted one at WOT.
I can see that. It will indeed take longer to cool the MAF back down to atmospheric temps than it will take to cool the IAT sensor (however back to the idea of heat transfer from the intake pipe to the IAT sensor).

I was mostly point out against the implied idea that a stand alone IAT would somehow be rapid responding/instantaneous, which I know it to not be (as I said, it takes at best 30second to a min to see a change).

I'd be curious to see some numbers.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Real clean install, nice work! I have wire connectors at my work that are like the ones you used, ours have solder in the center that melts to make good conection to both wires, also has the shrink wrap on both ends.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy

I was mostly point out against the implied idea that a stand alone IAT would somehow be rapid responding/instantaneous, which I know it to not be (as I said, it takes at best 30second to a min to see a change).
For sure, I think the key is the IAT sensors without the crap covering the measuring wire, (unlike the one in this post), I hear they're quicker, but I'd still like to see the differences with this guys version of the sensor compared to stock and like you said, I know neither one is going to be spilt second haha..
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MustangPunk
For sure, I think the key is the IAT sensors without the crap covering the measuring wire, (unlike the one in this post), I hear they're quicker, but I'd still like to see the differences with this guys version of the sensor compared to stock and like you said, I know neither one is going to be spilt second haha..
I have only ever seen the "covered" version (like in this post). I'd think the only difference between the "covered" and "uncovered" sensors is the "cage" that is there to protect the sensor. You could always cut the "cage" off but I can't imagine how that would change anything.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor Relocate with Pics