Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i want to buy headers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want to buy headers....

Blackbear is coming back to town and I need a reason to go visit him. Actually I want to boost up my low end torque a tad bit and want to purchase a set of long tube headers. I've searched but no one really talks about throwing a set on a 2500HD, everything is half ton or for the most HP you can get. I'd rather gain in the low end spectrum especially in the torque area. Here's my problem, I can never find an article regarding the HD trucks, damn it we need love too. I tried to find a dyno shootout with all header types but I guess there isn't one out there. I know you probably have your brand that you're most partial too but I'm looking for real time, hard data for my purchase. I dont want to buy a 300 dollar header and get just that a 300 dollar header. If i have to spend the money to get a good quality product that offers some great power gains then I'll do it. Here is the catch tho, just because the overall quality of the 300 dollar header might not be up to par with stainless works, (just as an example), does that mean the power gains will do the same? If a 300 dollar header surface rusts in 3 years or less BUT provides the same increase in power as any body else, why not go with them unless you're very particular in how things look. For me, its my tow rig. I'm not worried about how it looks just as long as i can get to where i'm going and pass a diesel getting there.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

LTs won't give you low end torque, if anything it
Might take away, but it will build hp

Shorties for sure are known for torque, so you might want to look into those if you're only looking for tq gains
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^^dont even waste your cash on shorties, you'll notice a difference with LTs go for it.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh imo Shorties aren't worth it vs LT, because tiny tq gain < noticeable hp gain
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

if you do buy headers get them from speed engineering,they have a avertisment to the right, they have all the lt's on sale, just bought some got a good deal.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

so what is the main difference really between brands? Honestly, how are the 800 dollar stainless works going to give me anymore power than the 300 dollar pacesetters? They virtually look identical and both have 3" collectors and 1-3/4" primaries. I'm not throwing rocks at anyone I'm just curious, why spend the money if you really dont have to?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stranger ranger
so what is the main difference really between brands? Honestly, how are the 800 dollar stainless works going to give me anymore power than the 300 dollar pacesetters? They virtually look identical and both have 3" collectors and 1-3/4" primaries. I'm not throwing rocks at anyone I'm just curious, why spend the money if you really dont have to?
Pacesetters are mild steel. Stainless are. . . well. . . stainless steel. . .

If you do not plan on pursuing every last HP out of your truck I would go with either Pacesetter's or OBX's. . .

You are probably not going to need a y pipe but the OBX's usually come with them from what I have read. OBX's are stainless and I have seen some for around 280 shipped on ebay. Just search for silverado header and you will see them pop up. They seem to be great pieces for the budget builders. . .
Old 03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm not looking to do certain modifications to gain 2 horse power just to bump up my total numbers. I just want to make the dam thing run a little better. I would just hate to drop little less than a grand on something I could have gotten for way less and the power gain differences are so minuscule that its not even going to matter. Am I cheap? You can say that I guess, or maybe I'm a little more sensible with my funds considering there isn't much to play with lol.