Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I heard you can't pull heavy loads with a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt recommend towing with anysort of power adder unless its under very little boost.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
I wouldnt recommend towing with anysort of power adder unless its under very little boost.
unless its a duramax of course.. i think its like 17:1 compression and around 20 psi. Pretty crazy.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea unless its a deisel and thats what the truck is made for
Old 01-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by j4nash
the guy that i talked to was from Livernois Motorsports.

who was it? was it greg?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j4nash
I just talked to this guy and he said that with a turbo on your truck you should not tow heavy loads because you will heat up the turbo to much. Also he said that the STS kit does not run as efficiently because it is not right off the header and that there is loss in efficiency. Is any of this true?
Also BTW turbos do NOT need heat to be efficient, just exhaust flow. The data shows lag time from compressor to intake manifold is 0.05 seconds, or quicker than a Halo2 game between Onyx and LM7
Jerry2500 is your man, if he can do it, everyone can!
I have also heard the towing thing too. Just keep the boost levels and EGT's in check.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by ktmrider
Also BTW turbos do NOT need heat to be efficient, just exhaust flow. The data shows lag time from compressor to intake manifold is 0.05 seconds, or quicker than a Halo2 game between Onyx and LM7
Jerry2500 is your man, if he can do it, everyone can!
I have also heard the towing thing too. Just keep the boost levels and EGT's in check.
the entire rear mount turbo debate is still going. the front mount theroticaly is a much better set up but that does not mean the sts kit is not a good bang for the buck. usualy when people talk about efficency they are refering to the compresor and that does not change with where the turbo is mounted but the amount of exhaust restriction probably does.

with all of the kits coming out now it will be real interesting to see if there is any clear performance advantage to the front mount. i think there will be but a not bashing the rear kit at all.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
the entire rear mount turbo debate is still going. the front mount theroticaly is a much better set up but that does not mean the sts kit is not a good bang for the buck. usualy when people talk about efficency they are refering to the compresor and that does not change with where the turbo is mounted but the amount of exhaust restriction probably does.

with all of the kits coming out now it will be real interesting to see if there is any clear performance advantage to the front mount. i think there will be but a not bashing the rear kit at all.
Yeah I agree. Hopefully this does not open up the floodgates again on the rear mount worries. Can't take it anymore!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:45 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by ktmrider
Yeah I agree. Hopefully this does not open up the floodgates again on the rear mount worries. Can't take it anymore!
i have thought about a twin kit with all the stuff in the box of the truck and a cover over it. think of 2 big turbos and some insanely large intercooler all with lot of room. the air filters sectioned off in the corner with some venting thru the cover and botom of the box, it would be sweet and completly stealth but would it be ideal for 1000+hp?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
i have thought about a twin kit with all the stuff in the box of the truck and a cover over it. think of 2 big turbos and some insanely large intercooler all with lot of room. the air filters sectioned off in the corner with some venting thru the cover and botom of the box, it would be sweet and completly stealth but would it be ideal for 1000+hp?
So is this your next project? You could get into the 8's with a setup like that. Put slicks on all 4. Damn that sounds like a good idea. So when are you going to start? Come on you know you want to do it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JERRY2500
So is this your next project? You could get into the 8's with a setup like that. Put slicks on all 4. Damn that sounds like a good idea. So when are you going to start? Come on you know you want to do it.

Quick Reply: I heard you can't pull heavy loads with a turbo