Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a PITA is a Hedder/ORY install ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
well i stuck a little piece of metal thru the hole, to see how far it broke off. seems like there might be enough left that i can get a vice grip on it with the manifolds off.
I was able to do that when I pulled my 4.8 out with the one that broke off.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
I was able to do that when I pulled my 4.8 out with the one that broke off.
My buddy was able to do that also, on his 03 6.0 2500....actually told me that once he had the manifold off and gave a little crank on the busted bolt he was able to pretty much spin the remainder of the bolt out by hand.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fantastic- on the subject of headders and PITA install; where do y'all put the kitties? Is there any room left anywhere for'em? I was under the truck the other day checking stuff out with that in mind and couldn't fathom peicing it all together..........
Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
Fantastic- on the subject of headders and PITA install; where do y'all put the kitties? Is there any room left anywhere for'em? I was under the truck the other day checking stuff out with that in mind and couldn't fathom peicing it all together..........
My StainlessWorks came with a catted y-pipe...ARH's and Dynatech's are also available with catted y's. I've seen pics of PaceSetters with cats, and the cats are usually welded in right after the collectors.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Bud, there's hope for me after all. Say- how easy/ hard was the install of your stainless works?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
Thanks Bud, there's hope for me after all. Say- how easy/ hard was the install of your stainless works?
Thanks
Glad to help...the SW's were a piece of cake, especially since when I had installed Gibson shorties 5+ years before, I coated the header bolts with anti-seize and they all came right out...they were in such good shape that I used them to bolt the SW's to the heads, and they're still on there today, about another 5 years later. If all goes as planned, I'll be pulling the catted y-pipe next weekend to swap my trans, curious to see how hard/easily the slip fit y comes apart
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bud, if your slip fit is anything like mine was with the Pacesetters, get the sawzall out The way these OBX coppies are, they should come apart just fine.

As far as the manifold bolts, I managed to get them all out of the 4.8 withoug breaking any, but the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side was already broken.

Dont worry theyll go on with no leaks. "theyll hold with 5" LOL
Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by white1
Bud, if your slip fit is anything like mine was with the Pacesetters, get the sawzall out The way these OBX coppies are, they should come apart just fine.

As far as the manifold bolts, I managed to get them all out of the 4.8 withoug breaking any, but the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side was already broken.

Dont worry theyll go on with no leaks. "theyll hold with 5" LOL
I'm hoping since they're stainless and use band clamps which don't crimp the pipes that I'll be OK....my buddy's bringing his torch just in case, hope we don't need it (insert fingers crossed smiley here). I'm going to let it run and get good and hot also which should help also...I'll know in less than a week...
Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Not saying that they'll definitely leak, just saying that the stockers are better. I ran the paper gaskets that came with my Gibson shorties for over 5 years without any leaks also, but when I went to my StainlessWorks long tubes I opted for the stock MLS gaskets at the advice from the folks here...if we were to go 15 years down the line, the paper/graphite style gaskets will be dried out and possibly cracked while the layered steel gaskets will still be metal
Yeah, no doubt. I am suprised they lasted this long. I also suggested the stock ones earlier in this thread.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well thanks to White1 and you other guys, i just bought a set of em for 300$ shipped.

Going to try them out. Hopefully they will work good and help my motor breath better, and give me some deeper sound.

I will report how the install went as soon as i can get them on, prob end of this week.

Quick Reply: How much of a PITA is a Hedder/ORY install ?