Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you pay for a dyno run? How punishing is it to the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you pay for a dyno run? How punishing is it to the engine?

Live on an island in the middle of the Pacific and don't have a dyno. A new shop opened up and they said they have a dyno on order, and will charge $100/run, about 1 hour of dyno time. How much do you pay? Not that I have a choice, but just interested.

Also, how bad is it to keep putting dyno runs on your engine? I know that I'm gonna have to beat the ricers back to get my turn on the dyno when it finally gets here.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$80/hour with wideband here or $60 for three pulls

It is less stress on the engine then it is to go WOT on the street...
Old 01-20-2004, 10:55 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quickWS6
It is less stress on the engine then it is to go WOT on the street...
not on a mustang.

when i went to the dyno that dyno wanted me to run for 13sec and forced the run to last that long. it wanted a certain mph rise and it got it. took me 13sec at wot to run from 2000rpm to 6000rpm. i think you could program that dyno to hold you at 5500rpm and you could tune it as it sat there screaming. with efilive that is a real idea i think. i can pull or add timing on the fly and adjust boost. not sure if a mustang can hold back 700hp

i paid $70 for an hour, as many runs as you want. i dont think $100/hr is out of line either.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Parish where did you do your dyno at? I live in southeast neb and i was wondering where you went. I know there was a new one that opened in Lincoln and can they tune it there or whatever place you went?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

100 an hour is not that bad.

is it bad?? no worse than i drive but it was someone else doing it to my truck then they broke it on the dyno. i wanted to cry i was like my poor truck. sounded horible backfireing at 6200rpms.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:42 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getsome
Parish where did you do your dyno at? I live in southeast neb and i was wondering where you went. I know there was a new one that opened in Lincoln and can they tune it there or whatever place you went?

sublime at 90th and I or so. it is an import shop but they have a good dyno and the guy that runs it is seems prety cool. it is $70/hr till the end of feb. then it goes back to $80/hr. you will want an apointment. they also log your a/f raito and a few other things if you want them to like fuel presure and boost presure.

i dont think they will do any tuning for you, he might be willing to make some sugestions but they dont have edit or anything like that. you best bet is to buy edit and learn how to do it or drive to some shop with edit experience.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought BSM Performance on Republic St. by the McDonalds had a dyno? I'm not sure what it cost though.

Originally Posted by Pewter Pro-Tec
Live on an island in the middle of the Pacific and don't have a dyno. A new shop opened up and they said they have a dyno on order, and will charge $100/run, about 1 hour of dyno time. How much do you pay? Not that I have a choice, but just interested.

Also, how bad is it to keep putting dyno runs on your engine? I know that I'm gonna have to beat the ricers back to get my turn on the dyno when it finally gets here.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

The only dyno in Tuscaloosa,AL charges $50 for 3 runs. Most of the ones in Birmingham charge $75.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getsome
I think the one in Lincoln has a special at $50 an hour till the end of Jan. Not sure about logging though.....
Old 01-21-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

BSM in lower Kalihi near Nimitz McDonalds charges $75 for three pulls w/o wideband. Wideband is extra. I believe they charge $125/hr dyno rental (for tuning) or something close to that. They do GM & Ford work. Recommended.

BTW - I don't think RICE is allowed there. They send them to another shop down the street.

Quick Reply: How much do you pay for a dyno run? How punishing is it to the engine?