Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hey guys...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys...

Hey guys. This is my first post on the board, so I'll try to give a little info about me and my whip...

I'm Chris, 2002 Yukon 5.3 (stock for now). Performance wise, I don't really wanna race my 3 ton SUV, but I'd like to give it a little more pep throughout the entire RPM band. I had in mind the Pacesetter LT's, maybe a 3" high-flow Magnaflow cat later (for emissions sake), Nelson tune, JBA Evol exhaust, some type of cam that won't affect streetability yet give me a nice torque/hp increase through the whole band, and some sort of intake. As far as intakes are concerned, is there really any difference in hp between...let's say a MAC cai and the K&N? I don't htink there can be too much difference, but maybe so. Try not to flame me too hard, I'm a newb
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Welcome to the site Chris. Thats a pretty good list to keep it driveable & give you a pretty good performance gain. As far as intakes go, the K&N is probably one of the better ones out there. A lot of people like the Volant as well. I would say the difference between the two is negligible. Be forewarned that modding is addictive, even on a 3 ton suv!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Chris! Sounds like you've got some good ideas there. A mild stall might be something to consider also...seems everyone here has had good results. (one of the next mods on my list )
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

I noticed that some people talk about the TransGO shift kits and also computer tuning for the firmness of their transmission shifts. The way I understand it, the TransGO shift kit improves mainly the downshifts. For example, crusing at 25 mph and you stomp it, sometimes it doesn't want ot go into 1st gear. The TransGO is supposed to make it drop quickly into first. The Nelson tune does this too, right? Or does it just increase the firmess of the upshifts (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on)? Does anyone mind clearing these questions up for me? Would the TransGO and Nelson tune have any conflict together? Should I go with one more than the other?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
I noticed that some people talk about the TransGO shift kits and also computer tuning for the firmness of their transmission shifts. The way I understand it, the TransGO shift kit improves mainly the downshifts. For example, crusing at 25 mph and you stomp it, sometimes it doesn't want ot go into 1st gear. The TransGO is supposed to make it drop quickly into first. The Nelson tune does this too, right? Or does it just increase the firmess of the upshifts (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on)? Does anyone mind clearing these questions up for me? Would the TransGO and Nelson tune have any conflict together? Should I go with one more than the other?
I haven't heard anything about the shift kit conflicting with a Nelson tune.

You wouldn't need all those mods to make it quite a bit peppier but what the heck. The Nelson tune,a good stall, LTs and a intake should be good for at least a second off your et.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
... I don't really wanna race my 3 ton SUV, but I'd like to give it a little more pep throughout the entire RPM band....
Yep, thats the way it starts off. Then you'll think to yourself "I wonder how it runs in the 1/4 mile?". After that, you'll want a few more mods to shave off a little more ET. Next thing you know, you have a friendly grudge with another tahoe owner and are competing to have the fastest Hoe around. Thats not a bad thing, just understand that from the beginning.

A cam, converter, headers, and tuning will completely change the attitude of your Tahoe. Misc stuff like intake, E-fans, pulleys, etc will compliment the other mods well.

Good luck and once again, welcome aboard. Keep your credit card handy, you'll need it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the Mac intakes from Summit, Chris?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
Yep, thats the way it starts off. Then you'll think to yourself "I wonder how it runs in the 1/4 mile?". After that, you'll want a few more mods to shave off a little more ET. Next thing you know, you have a friendly grudge with another tahoe owner and are competing to have the fastest Hoe around. Thats not a bad thing, just understand that from the beginning.

A cam, converter, headers, and tuning will completely change the attitude of your Tahoe. Misc stuff like intake, E-fans, pulleys, etc will compliment the other mods well.

Good luck and once again, welcome aboard. Keep your credit card handy, you'll need it.

No doubt. I'm a long way from when I first bought my truck and told myself that I wasn't modding this one out. lol
Old 05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome aboard chris. like everyone else said your on the right track e-fans,pulleys,cold air kit,lts,a good muffles gutted cat,and a good tune.don't know were you are from but you might want ot give thunder racing a call 1-225 754-7223
ask for Dave and let him know randy sent you
Old 05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

lol, racing actually isn't in my interest for the Yukon at the moment. I'm gonna slap some 22" Foose Spank6's on it, McGaughy (sp) deluxe drop kit, and a lot of $$$ audio (cuz I'm a bigtime audiophile). Other than that, I just want it to sound mean