Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help! Wife thinks Magnaflow is too loud! :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j4nash
I have been thinking about putting two Dynomax Bullet 12” mufflers before my magnaflow muffler. For me at 70 mph it is just to much cab noise.
Well if you do that in the very near future please tell me how that works out. I am just about ready to dump another couple hundred and try out a Flo Pro HD Big Oval Model 2503, which if the literature on their website www.flopro.com is accurate, is almost as quiet as stock. Better be, since I only live 2 hours from their manufacturing plant up here in Alberta.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in (my wife thanks you too!) to help me solve this problem. Will post results one way or the other.

D
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that I am going to order a set of Dynomax Bullet 12” mufflers, tomorrow. I have plans to put them in front of my magnaflow muffler. I should have them on my truck in about a week.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

I had dumps off the mufflers and tonight, put a y behind the mufflers to a single 4'' over the rearend. Now its only alittle louder than a stock exahust inside the cab. I was surprise at the big change it made on top of the bullets. Outside the truck is just alittle quieter.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

yay i to was going to go to the flo pro. i ended up going with the big magnaflow and it is nice. mine is a little loud when accelerating but it gets quiet on the freeway. plus i have no cats so mine is a little louder. i imagine if you are running cats it would be very quiet. i do like the deeeeep tone it has.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:47 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
Another exhaust shop in town is now trying to tell me that a Flo Pro will be much quieter....Doh!
They are correct. I didn't mean to say my flopro was loud. Its not loud. It is louder on my truck than it would be on yours because I don't have cats, I have long tube headers, and I'm running a full dual 3" exhaust, not the GM 2.5" pipes. Its louder at idle and low rpms, but at cruise speeds, it is nearly silent. If I had catalytic converters on, the sound would just a notch above stock.

My muffler is the flopro 2503 - dual 3" in / single 3" out. I kept the stock SS tailpipe and tip.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigTex
They are correct. I didn't mean to say my flopro was loud. Its not loud. It is louder on my truck than it would be on yours because I don't have cats, I have long tube headers, and I'm running a full dual 3" exhaust, not the GM 2.5" pipes. Its louder at idle and low rpms, but at cruise speeds, it is nearly silent. If I had catalytic converters on, the sound would just a notch above stock.

My muffler is the flopro 2503 - dual 3" in / single 3" out. I kept the stock SS tailpipe and tip.
Doh! Should have read this before starting a new post. Indeed I went with the exact same system as you and it ROCKS! Almost as quiet as stock. Wife is very happy. Marriage safe again (hee hee).

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

D