Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me out, i'm new to the truck world

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out, i'm new to the truck world

I have an 05 Silverado 1500 ecsb 4x4 w/ the L33 5.3l motor. I decided to make it fast instead of lifting it because i'm gettin a raptor in may so there's no point in abusing my truck offroading.

I used to have a 98 z28 and i miss the speed it had. Are these trucks about the same when modding the motor as the ls1's or do i need to learn all over again?

The only mod so far is a flowmaster 40 series, 3" in dual 3" out with 4" tips.
Can you guys help me out as far as what the best way is to go. I dunno if i want a supercharger turbo or spray, whats the safest and what has the most potential?

btw it has the g80 code so it has posi right?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

The g80 is a lsd but if your gonna up the power look to upgrade it very soon as they tend to be on the weak side.
Lots of good lsd's out there though. Get a replacement Eaton not the g80 of course lol. Maybe a detriot trutrac just up to you.
They are basically the same for modding vs the ls1.
They like cams for sure. A nice cam in it with some longtubes will give you some really nice power.
Of course bolt on always help. E-fans give a nice jump in power.Not on a dyno but in the end it frees up alot of power throughout the band and normally drops a truck 2-3 tenths with ease.
A nice convertor will wake it up off the line but most of all a good tune will make a big differance in teht ruck as the torque management holds it back by alot.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

His 05' Silverado should already have e-fans.
It really depends on what you have to spend.
Will you be doing the installs?
A stock Radix (unaltered, like pulley downsize) kit will work great on the truck without any other mods.
There are a few sponsors here running specials on them right now, so you might want to look into it if you have some $$$$ to swing.
If you begin to upgrade cam with a supercharger or Radix with a smaller pulley, dont expect tranny to survive too long.
Same goes with going turbo.
NO2 would be of course your cheapest mod. Your truck should handle a 100-150 shot with no upgrades to anything else for a while.
What do "you" want for a power increase and how much you have to spend is the real question.

Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A mail order or (better yet) a dyno tune will make a huge difference and wont immediately require you to beef up your transmission. The trucks come from the factory with a VERY conservative tune.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much does a radix cost? i'm a lil low on money at the time, still paying off the camaro, but i'm looking into lt's with an ORY around may, i dont wanna mess my tranny up quite yet, whats a bullitproof tranny cost?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

[[QUOTE=TouchOfEvil04]The g80 is a lsd but if your gonna up the power look to upgrade it very soon as they tend to be on the weak side[QUOTE]

i think people are more afraid of their G80 than they should be. theres lots of people running the G80 without any problems. parish ran a g80 for a long time. im more worried about my transmission than my rear end. i pound my G80 and its never had a hickup. i just wish it would lock from a 30mph punch
Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPtuners, headers, catback-
good start IMO

should be under $1500 and will add about about 50hp + gas milage
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonsterZ28
I have an 05 Silverado 1500 ecsb 4x4 w/ the L33 5.3l motor. Can you guys help me out as far as what the best way is to go. I dunno if i want a supercharger turbo or spray, whats the safest and what has the most potential?

btw it has the g80 code so it has posi right?
Safest is probably the Radix, most potential goes to the Tubo, nitrous is the least expensive and will get you there. BTW mine was a 2005 Z71 last year
Old 12-14-2006, 05:17 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MonsterZ28
whats a bullitproof tranny cost?
Check FLT's website

www.finishlinetrans.com

From what I have seen, he is about the only guy that has ever built a 4L60E that is "bulletproof" up to about 500 rwhp. He seems to do a great job and his customer service seems to be top notch. I haven't presonally done business with him, but take a look in the sponsor feedback section and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you plan on going much over that it would be wise to step up to a 4L80E. I bought mine from a company called Transformance and have had a great experience with them, both performance and customer service wise. According to him, the limit for that tranny is about 900 rwhp the way it is currently built.

Either way, you should plan to spend somewhere between $3500 and $4000.

If you're not planning on making a ton of power, you can probably get away with a shift kit and servo in the tranny, and maybe leave a little bit of torque management in the tune.

Welcome to the "red-headed step child" side of LS1Tech
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

watch the comments lol i am a red headed step child

Quick Reply: Help me out, i'm new to the truck world