Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me build my LSX 454 small block

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me build my LSX 454 small block

Well I think Ive decided to skip a couple other aspects of my truck this summer to start the LSX build. So far what Ive read and decided on Im going to be doing....
LSX Block
L92 Heads
Vic Jr or ls6 intake (not sure yet)

but the questions come...
who should I go through for pistons? and the crank and rods?
what about a cam, I want something drivable but still good power?

to have a shop bore it how much on average am I lookin to spend, what if I added the cost for assembly of the rotating assembly, how much would I be looking at then?

if I had all the right tools how hard would it be to assemble myself?

Im just tryin to get as much info as I can, I really would like to do this. Think like a nbs 454ss
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember, big cubic inches = bigger duration cam shafts, so don't be surprised when someone suggests a 26x/26x cam shaft.

I'd suggest PMing Ron@Vengeance or Mike@Vengeance on LS1tech since they do MANY big c.i. LS1 builds, and I believe Mike's camaro has a 454ci LS1 in it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

This is going to be a real interesting thread. I really like the idea and I hope you get some good input. One thing is for sure, it won't be cheap.

Here's my limited help:

I'm assuming that you are planning on a 4.250 bore and 4.00 stroke. The rotating assembly is probably going to be custom for this application at least until the block becomes more available. I would go with forged everything. As for machine work, you will definately have to have it bored out, and I believe the deck surfaces are not fiinished either. There is probably a lot more machine work required, align honing of the mains, cam bores, etc.I would have the machine shop handle the ordering of the rotating assembly and bearings to make sure that everything works. I would have the block and rotating assembly set up so that the pistons are flush with the deck surface at TDC, run a .040 thick custom head gasket, -3cc valve reliefs, 76cc chamber heads and get a SCR of 11.53:1. There is a great SCR/DCR/VE calculator on ls1tech that I used for this. A pretty healthy cam in the 240s duration range will probably put your SCR in the low to mid 8:1 range.

The L92 heads need a dedicated intake manifold and right now you have four choices - Holden L76, GM Truck L92, GMPP single plane, or a custom sheetmetal intake.

For the heads I would look into the porting program theat Richard is working on for them. I haven't seen him posting any data yet, but I bet they would work well.

There's a million little parts to consider too this is just the beginning.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

tdrumm, i forgot bout the intake prob, so looks like the L76 it is. Thanks for all you info, also forgot to mention I dont want my compressions ratio too high, more like stock lq4, that way if and when I go to turbo it its all set. But Id like to see ideas for both hi and lo compression. Anyone know how much that type of machine work would typically run?
out1aw i will def. PM them, thanks for the 411
Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what trans are you going to go with?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

also i would stick to a machine shop that has built ls1's also...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

most likely 80e
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

If you are considering a decently high PSI you might want to consider an aftermarket head because the deck isn't that thick on the stock casting. This is what I found on my engine build when considering head lifting. though, after talking to rick@synergy, the cam selection for the l76/l92 style set up as you are considering is not a typical style of duration of LS1's because of the way the heads flow. I'd keep the cam selection for last to be honest. To prep for boosted application or normal compression ratio you could go with some dished pistons.

from the shop I am using, it's like 200 bucks to bore .030, acid wash, hone and do various machining. IIRC, it should cost me ~500 to have the short block assembled. I also seem to remember if you are boring over a certain amount, it will cost more. for your engine build, just as a rough estimate, I would set aside 500 for the machine work and the same amount for assembly of the short block.

Personally, I would not go about assembly myself because I do not want to mess up the ring tolerances and have to rip apart my brand new motor for something that costs as much as a cold air intake and an underdrive pulley.

note* take all that I have said with a grain of salt because this is all based of research for my 370 build and I am trying to remember things off the top of my head.

Good luck GMracer, i'm very interested as to what you do.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well forget the turbo for now.

Just normal compression gonna run 93 when street drivin bump it up a lil for the track so 10:1 ish?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

you could probably get away with a little more seeing as you live in mass. so you won't be seeing extra high IAT's and you plan to bump it up at the track,

Quick Reply: Help me build my LSX 454 small block