Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hello stock pcm, goodbye wait4me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello stock pcm, goodbye wait4me!

numbers dont lie..
1st run....wait4me....247hp & 275 ft/lbs
2nd run...stock........223hp & 291 ft/lbs
3rd run....stock........225hp & 294 ft/lbs

ok...the 2nd and 3rd run stopped because we dynoed it in 3rd gear and it hits 100mph in 3rd gear at 40-4300 rpm. it just floated. and 2nd gear wouldn't give us a good reading, but all i know is the torque peaked 20 more ft/lbs over a STOCK PCM. as far as the horsepower, it was already hitting 225 at 4100 rpm. and i know it would have hit well over 22 more horses between then and 5600 rpm. the wait4me peak hp hit at 5200 and peak torque at 3500. as for the torque peak for stock from what i would get, it hit peak at 4100.

in a nutshell......somethings not right, what should i do?
Old 07-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a nelson tune
Old 07-01-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

OK, so I don't really understand what you did.... and I can't read you graph, too small... Did you do the first pull with W4M in 2nd and then put the stock PCM in and do two short pulls in 3rd??? If you did, then your data is pretty much worthless. You can't compare to totally different testing conditions. If you where hitting the speed limiter in 3rd, then ALL pulls should have been done in 2nd, so you had a constant. Other wise, you just guessing.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

no all of the pulls were in third gear. what happened is i couldnt get a hp peak reading because a stock pcm only goes to 100mph, so when in 3rd gear, it was only going to 4100 rpm when the truck hit a 100mph and got its fuel cut off.

BLUE---WAIT4ME
RED & GREEN---STOCK
Old 07-01-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Still not a good comparison... S.W.A.G. at best.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

how is it not a good comparison, there at the same time. no matter what the stock pcm does, the wait4me peak numbers are weak. 247 hp, and 275 ft/lbs. thats not good numbers. all from a 5.3 with 295 hp stock and 330 ft/lbs from the flywheel. plus i have a intake, catback exhaust,& edelbrock headers. the wait4me bogged me down. thats a fact.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not saying the W4M tune doesn't need some work, I'm just saying that the test is not a good comparison. Should have had at least 2 of not 3 pulls to full rpm with BOTH pcms to be a fair and accurate test.

I know Jesse, and bought my EFILive software from him. He never gave me the free tune I was supposed to get, (too busy) but I ended up learning to tune myself and have a VERY good tune now. In my opinion, Jesse does too many tunes to do hit the nail on the head eveytime. He should charge a little more and spend a little more time on the individual tunes so he has a better success rate the first time around, but he focus's on quantity rather then quality. It seem to be working for him, he is still in business and making a good living. I'm sure he will take care of you though, and get it straitened out
Old 07-01-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The dyno pulls should have all been ran in second gear...however, the numbers are obivously goin to end up better on the stock pcm runs...if not for a 100mph limiter.
I say give WME a call otherwise get a differant tuner all together.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:26 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
The dyno pulls should have all been ran in second gear...however, the numbers are obivously goin to end up better on the stock pcm runs...if not for a 100mph limiter.
I say give WME a call otherwise get a differant tuner all together.
Why would the hp with the stock PCM obviuosly be better? Are you extrapolating that info just because the runs with teh stock tune have quite abit more torque than the Jesse tune?

I do agree that both tunes should have been tested in 2nd gear. If the dyno runs arent an accurate representation of actual engine output(because of being in 2nd gear), at least they would be an accurate comparison to each other.

Those are some pretty big differences in output.

peace
Hog
Old 07-02-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hog
Why would the hp with the stock PCM obviuosly be better? Are you extrapolating that info just because the runs with teh stock tune have quite abit more torque than the Jesse tune?

I do agree that both tunes should have been tested in 2nd gear. If the dyno runs arent an accurate representation of actual engine output(because of being in 2nd gear), at least they would be an accurate comparison to each other.

Those are some pretty big differences in output.

peace
Hog
I would say that by looking at the dyno chart it's a fairly easy assumption that the hp will continue to rise above 4100rpms....
Not to mention the TQ numbers are well over that of the W4M tune.
Lets not forget HP is not a real number to begin with...it comes from TQ numbers....so again i say the stock tune shows that out performs the W4M.

Even though the stock pcm only ran to 4100 it was done in thrid gear just as the W4M pull.....i say if the numbers are that much better at such a lower rpm its safe to say the stocker is better.IMO.

Quick Reply: Hello stock pcm, goodbye wait4me!