Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads/Cam going in....it's an unusual combo so I've got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heads/Cam going in....it's an unusual combo so I've got a few questions

Combo as follows:

'99 6.0 block
'02 LS1 heads (stock other than polished chambers)
VHP 044 Cam (210º/218º .531/.531 114lsa)
Comp 918 valve springs
Stock rockers
Stock lifters

1. Head bolts are the same for ALL LS1 motors right ??......so if I use the ARP #134-3609 bolts they will work just fine ??

2. Head gaskets....MLS or Graphite ??, do they make an MLS gasket for the 4.00" bore ??, and will there be any problem using the LS1 chamber size on a 4.00" bore ??

3. Intake Gaskets.....should they be replaced even though they are designed to be reuseable ??

4. Other than the cam size (which most think is WAY too small) does anyone see any isses that will arise from this combo ???......iI'm not looking for max HP with this combo, just a good gain and 100% drivability

I've got others but most I think I can find out for myself

And...I DO have jmX's how-to guide printed off......that was actually the biggest help in answering alot of my questions
Old 12-02-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Those head bolts will work fine. Might I suggest the studs instead. It's nice pulling the heads and not having to clean out the bolt holes agian.

2. MLS hands down, cleaner and seals better.

3. Re-use them!

4. maybe ....

Does the motor have perimiter bolt valve covers or are they center bolt valve covers?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also ... when you go to torque those heads down ... do so as the guide says, but then go back one by one in the order the guide says, break it loose and re torque it. Just to be safe.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I think the newer year blocks use different length bolts for some of the bolts. I think it's a '04 up thing. Best to wait for someone else to reply that actually knows. '99 block shouldn't have a problem with those bolts though.

2. Stock MLS 6.0L head gaskets will work fine. The chamber size of the LS1 will be fine as long as your compression is where you want it.

3. If they look like they're in good shape and not cracked/ripped/etc they should be fine.

4. No issues that I can see.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the 210/218 does for your 6.0L what the 205/212 did for my 5.3L (and I suspect that it will...), you will be most pleasantly surprised with all the off-idle torque you will have at your disposal.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

4. I think those springs are too much for that cam. Should have either went with 915's or a set of Z06 springs IMO. I think the cam choice was wise. I only went with a 212/218 high lift for my 6.0, and most think that is too small as well. Max drivability should be present with that cam you chose.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Flyer: The heads are center bolt.....why ??, does it matter ??

XLR8NSS: Compression is going to be 10.4:1...a bit higher that I was hoping for but not too bad

Naker AV: I'm certainly hoping so, max power isn't my goal....power under the curve is !

BADMOFO: Why do think that the springs are too much for that cam ??, I wasn't aware that you could have too much spring, I pretty much thought the 918's were comparable in spring pressure to the '03+ LS6's

When you figure that with the stock cam (the smallest ever put in an LS1 motor.....191º/190º .544/.567 114lsa) and the stock cast-iron heads I put 280ish to the tires I'm hoping that with the cam/heads I'll see 330hp/360tq
Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by Yelo
Flyer: The heads are center bolt.....why ??, does it matter ??

Naker AV: I'm certainly hoping so, max power isn't my goal....power under the curve is !

BADMOFO: Why do think that the springs are too much for that cam ??, I wasn't aware that you could have too much spring, I pretty much thought the 918's were comparable in spring pressure to the '03+ LS6's

When you figure that with the stock cam (the smallest ever put in an LS1 motor.....191º/190º .544/.567 114lsa) and the stock cast-iron heads I put 280ish to the tires I'm hoping that with the cam/heads I'll see 330hp/360tq
I'm surprised that you didn't know you could have too much spring, especially after the cam sticky. I'm not trying to be a dick, as much as that statement sounds that I am. I think you should call Comp, Texas Speed, and/or the people who made your cam and let them explain the "matching" idea for a cam/spring combo. I might be wrong and you may have EXACTLY the right spring. ....You most certainly can have too much spring pressure, which will cause unnecessary wear on your valvetrain and other things. Also, a valve spring from different manufacturer's can be rated to handle equal amounts of cam lift, yet have a different installed seat pressure, and not be idea for a certain cam that may fall within the springs rated lift tolerances. You can ask around and get a ton of people who say that installed spring height is not important, who will say just throw them on and run them...but if you ask the respected engine builders like Sonny's, Gene Fulton, Bill Jenkins, Futral, Lingenfelter, etc., they will tell you to make sure you have your springs "set up" to the necessary specs of the cam. I'm really not that educated when it comes to all of the technical lingo and so forth, so I don't want to stick my foot any further in my mouth then I probrobally already did, but with the thirst for knowledge that you obviously have, I think after you look further into this you will be able to educate ME on this!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes .. it mattered about the heads. There's another thread in here I just saw about head gaskets leaking. Acually I think it was a post by Moregrip in my thread about pulling the heads off. Maybe that will explain what the deal is, but if the ones coming off are center bolt, then you should be fine, either way, check out that post.

Those springs should be fine. The 918's aren't overly stiff, but they aren't by any means a light spring. If you were running 921's (or whatever Comp's dual spring is) or something, then I'd say they might be a little much, but those should be fine.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

BADMOFO: OK, so I was a bit stupid in my response there......and deserved that reply. What I meant was: I wasn't aware that the 918's could provide too much spring pressure
Let me do a little research on this......I'll get back to you on this

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam going in....it's an unusual combo so I've got a few questions