Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

headers...really help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headers...really help?

I know they do on older engines, used them in all my motors...but now have a stock 2003 Yukon...will headers and ORY really help?

Worth the investment?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is said to be a gain of 30 rwhp with a tune. Definitely worth the money for the power you get. I will be getting some Pacesetters for mine sometime in the future. Check out the sponsers ---> Texas Speed and Performance has a good price on theirs.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yarly
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with muffler selection on your truck. For some reason the muffler that works well and drone free on truck might not work so well on a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. It took me awhile to find the right muffler for my wife's truck that didn't drone while crusing
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Worth the investment, yes, again, as long as you get the tune to go with it. What headers/exhaust setup are you going with? I can tell you that headers are a pita though, if you don't get the right equipment to make sure the gaskets stay put and the bolts don't come loose, if they do you have that stupid frippin tick...locking bolts and copper gaskets are both worthwhile investments to stop this!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so far it's stock, so was considering Pacesetters, ORY, changing gears from 3.42's to 4.10's then install headers and Black Bear tune. I still have a warranty until Feb 2010, so can't touch the inside of the motor just yet...

yea, will have to do some Stage 8 bolts or something...it does look like a pain if you had to change header gaskets all the time on these.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

i would suggest trying a search on headers. you will find that over and over again guys will suggest getting long tubes instead of shorties. also anytime you start modding air flow with a CIA and free flowing exhaust, a tune will be necessary to get the full potential of those modes. custom tunes are better than a hand held tune. custom tunes can be designed for the exact mods you have.

when you start changing the air intake and exhaust, you start losing back pressure. you will notice less torque at lower RPM. they say long tube headers help solve this problem.

anyone can feel free to chime in here if i am wrong.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no, I agree. I have a CAI, but plan to swap gears first, then add headers and ORY at the same time, then have Black Bear tuned PCM...
but, if I won't see that much difference adding headers to a stock engine, IMHO then there isn't a need to spend $500. See what I mean...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Headers wont make a big difference in just normal everyday driving. When you mash it you'll see a nice gain up top, but I'd think you'd see a better overall driving experience with gears. I have 3.42s as well with 31.5" tires and it's just *****. Going to a 4.10 should make a really significant difference in acceleration.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Headers wont make a big difference in just normal everyday driving. When you mash it you'll see a nice gain up top, but I'd think you'd see a better overall driving experience with gears. I have 3.42s as well with 31.5" tires and it's just *****. Going to a 4.10 should make a really significant difference in acceleration.
awesome, I agree, best bang for the buck, with a heavy Yukon and small motor, the gears and tune would be the best for the money. I'll save headers for later, when I can do a motor swap.