Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

header q

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update:

jaime put on his lt's again and took off dereks y pipe so it was go time, i figured that this long weekend would be a perfect time seeing as how i have friday off as well.

all i can say is argh.
every bolt that holds the y pipe to the manifolds fought tooth and nail and since my cats are up high in my y pipe (almost vertical about 4" from the flanges) it made for damn near impossible to get a socket in there. we got 1 nut loose from the stud 1 backed the stud out and we had to completely remove the front ds and take out all the bolts of the manifolds and hold the pipe out of the way and use a grinder to cut the stud off at the base of the nut and that was just the drivers side! on the passenger side only one stud was accessible (once again because of the high cats) so we had to take out all of the manifold bolts and push the manifold up with a jack and take out the plastic fender guard and we had just enough space to get a boxed end wrench above the frame and on the studs. after that mess we were trying to get the y pipe out and we didnt want to cut it and it wouldnt come out so we had to support the trans and drop the crossmember and it finally cam out. WHEW so the hard part was done....

time to get the headers in so it can be off to the exhaust shop tomorrow, well the drivers side slipped right in and bolted up nicely and has plenty of room, but when we went to bolt in the passenger side it was a whole different story, the bolts started to go in but the primary for #6 is all over the frame, not like it just barely touches, like the flange doesnt even sit flat on the head. it looks like the primary off the flange before the 90* bend is too long by about an inch, not even a decent sized ding in the tube would fix it, not to mention i really dont want to destroy the header and coating. so i am now stuck again with this mess and bassani is for some reason closed on friday and monday is a holiday so i wont even be able to talk to someone till tuesday

in the mean time i have no truck
-end rant

ill post up some pics tomorrow when i get up, so far this thing has been a serious pita but i know it will be worth it when its done.

Hats off the jaime for his time, help and patients in helping me get this far!!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as long as you have budlight, im alwayys down for lol
Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Default pics

my stock y pipe with the wierd high cat placement

the 05 and older y pipe with the cats where they should be

and heres the passenger side header thats laying on the frame and the header isnt even sitting flat on the head
Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

what brand of header is that?

also your y pipe is probably screwy b/c it's probably a california specific or something (closer cats = hotter = lower emission)
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
what brand of header is that?

also your y pipe is probably screwy b/c it's probably a california specific or something (closer cats = hotter = lower emission)
all the 06+ trucks i have seen are like that,even non cali ones... tho i think all trucks are to cali spec now adays... and the 05 y came from a cali truck too.

the header is a bassani
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

ok so after talking to bassani and sending them alot of pics, and coming to no resolution on the problem they offered a full refund, but i am bummed. i wanted these to work but oh well. i guess i have to decide between pacesetters and lpp's now...
Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless works IMO
Old 05-30-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

stainless works would be awesome, but they arent as cheap as the pacesetters, texas speed has the pacesetters and ory for 489$. unless there is a great deal on them for around that price thats what im thinkin im going to go with.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
ok so after talking to bassani and sending them alot of pics, and coming to no resolution on the problem they offered a full refund, but i am bummed. i wanted these to work but oh well. i guess i have to decide between pacesetters and lpp's now...
You still have two options in my opinion if you are looking to go with the 05 y-pipe and stay CARB legal on your header selection. That would be the Thorley Tri-Y model #DTE 310Y to which you can add a C for ceramic coating, and a DA if your truck has Dual Air Injection into the manifolds. You could also run Doug's headers model #3353, with different suffixes to denote coatings and AIR ports. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

pacesetters are garbanzo. I'd go with the LPP's over them, but you get what you pay for, anyone with experience with header systems will tell you this

Quick Reply: header q