Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install and flange question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install and flange question

I'm looking to get a set of mid tube or long tube headers. If I install them myself what am I looking at to get the flanges rewelded? On shop said $250 which I think is a little high.
The other question is does everyone just tie up the rest of the exhaust and drive to their shop to get the flanges fitted?
This is on a 5.3 sierra.
Thanks,
Lar
Old 06-27-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Header install and flange question

Let me know when you are ready to get it done I know the guy's at Discount Muffler in Denham. I'll get them to help you out.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend just removed his y-pipe out of his truck, then drove it to the muffler shop. It sounded crazy loud, and his check engine light came on for the 02 sensors missing, but after he had the y-pipe fitted and reinstalled, he just used the predator to erase his code!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $100 plus $20 lunch plus stock manifold and I had to do most of the work myself. It took about 2 hours. We ended up cutting the pipe right on the stock welds for the cats and it still barely worked. The crossover pipe has now mover back right beside the crossmember and it was banging where it went over so we heated it and knocked a tiny dent so it wouldn't rattle. We also had to shorten the catback system about 3 inches because of this. Also the top bolts were a bitch but I think it was because the truck was lifted too much. I have another question. How do you weld the flanged to the cats? From the outside or the inside? We did mine from the inside and grinded it down smooth. I thought it was supposed to be done from the outside, but then how would you get the bolts to go in flat? Thanks a lot, lets get all the good info in this thread for future reference.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ASM headers, had about 3 inches to cut off of the y-pipe, and they including new flanges that would be welded onto the y-pipe, there was about 1 inch of pipe left coming off of the cat to work with. I have not seen any others be installed.