Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardened Input Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardened Input Shaft

So how many of you guys (probably turbo or supercharged) have smoked your Input Shaft? My trans is being built right now. I got a call from the shop that their shop truck smoked theirs in the supercharged Escalade. They recommended for another $350 to get it. Sounds like good insurance to me.

Anyone else run into this?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:14 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I snapped my input shaft into 2 pieces and went with an upgraded one when I did the rebuild. I believe there are 2 different type of upgraded input shafts. One is just heavy duty, and the other one is like hardened steel, maybe forged? Cant remember right.

I would definately upgrade the input shaft. Are you coverting into a 65 with the 5 pinion forward and reverse planetaries?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He already has a 4L65E, if its the transmission from his Denali he is having built. The 65E already has an "induction hardened" shaft as one of the upgrades GM gave it. I'd be tempted to pass on upgrading this part and spend the money on something else.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigTex
He already has a 4L65E, if its the transmission from his Denali he is having built. The 65E already has an "induction hardened" shaft as one of the upgrades GM gave it. I'd be tempted to pass on upgrading this part and spend the money on something else.
That's correct, they're building up the 4L65 for me. One of the shop owned trucks is an Escalade with the same trans that snapped the Input Shaft though. That's why I'm thinking I should go with the "upgrade".
Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I don't think any of the SS guys have had issues with that specific part. Go ahead and swap it for peace of mind if you want. But I don't think its the glass jaw of the 65E.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting. I don't think any of the SS guys have had issues with that specific part. Go ahead and swap it for peace of mind if you want. But I don't think its the glass jaw of the 65E.
You're right! My fault, I just found out it was on the shop 1500 and not the Escalade. Ok, phweew, I feel better now! So the $350 i WAS going to spend can now go toward the future FMIC. Thanks for the great info! I love this place!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it make you wonder why this shop didnt already know you had the hardened shaft?Or they did and they just wanted to make another $350 of your money because they figure you are loaded and wont know the difference.I would have a hard time with it.There is whats called the TQ drive input drum on the aftermarket$275(guess).Its a rebuilt drum with a hardened shaft and has a reinforcement ring.And also on the aftermarket is a reinforcement kit which would be ideal if you already have the hardened shaft.For $150 you get a new apply piston and a specialy machined sleeve to hold the splines from slipping and also eliminate breakage from shock due to a hard 1-2 shift.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think two SSS'ers have broken the input shaft (or was it the output shaft?).

I went with billet shafts in mine, but would do hardened shafts otherwise, just for the insurance.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

fastescalade has both input and output shafts upgraded. Pretty much everything came from here. http://www.4l60-e.com/ Pertty sure we are going to do a 80e swap in that thing shortly.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I think two SSS'ers have broken the input shaft (or was it the output shaft?).

I went with billet shafts in mine, but would do hardened shafts otherwise, just for the insurance.

Tell us were to buy billet in/out shafts.Cyro is what some are doing.

Quick Reply: Hardened Input Shaft