Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my tune today! Efans are pushing not pulling

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my tune today! Efans are pushing not pulling

the only problem i see is before i installed the efans i check the direction by connecting the black and blue leds to the battery. Black/Black Red/Blue direction was pulling. I have the Blackbear 2 pin harness.
dual 16 inch fans and wired them to the harness black to black and blue to red. The fans are pushing air and not pulling. I just didnt want to mess up my relays or harness and the question will it be ok to just switch the leads on the fans to reverse the flow?

It is a Wait4me Performance tune. Everything else looks good -no cats or egr-engine light!

Gonna wait few heat cycles before it goes WOT, because i did oil pan gasket-pain w/4wd.

Last edited by HDSIERRA; 02-16-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does your fans have reversible blades?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black'Rado
does your fans have reversible blades?
Yes, they also have an arrow on the blades now i think they are turning wrong direction.! I feel a good bit air in front of the grill. Dont have a friend yet to kill the ac while i watch the fans to make sure.- will soon
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they are blowing the wrong way just switch the leads at the fan as you asked.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KySilverado
If they are blowing the wrong way just switch the leads at the fan as you asked.

Thanks

didnt really want reverse the blades b/c lifetime warrenty-want to be able to say i didnt touch them in case something happens.

Those with the black bear harness- although i think i saw some where on here the tune affects the fan controls as well. Other words both my fans come on when the ac
How many w/ ur ac?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KySilverado
What he said.

The relays are just an electrically controlled switch. The tuning and fan control has no effect on the direction the fans run, only the polarity in which you hook them up.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Teching In

with the wires showing I'll also be able to test my theory amps=watts divided by volts
(18.3=220 divided by 12) x 2

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HDSIERRA
with the wires showing I'll also be able to test my theory amps=watts divided by volts
(18.3=220 divided by 12) x 2
To see how much current draw the fans have? I did some testing on mine before installing them using my Knight DVOM (its capable of carrying a 20 amp load) and in series (low) the fans pulled 10 amps on power up and 5 amps once they got spinning. In parallel (high) the fans individually pulled 20 amps on startup and 10 once spinning. Some together they would pull 40 amps on startup and 20 amps once spinning. I decided that was too much and wired mine for series operation only (I only have one PCM fan relay control on my 95) and it works great. No noise, plenty of air still even in the summer, and no real load added to the charging system.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldred95
To see how much current draw the fans have? I did some testing on mine before installing them using my Knight DVOM (its capable of carrying a 20 amp load) and in series (low) the fans pulled 10 amps on power up and 5 amps once they got spinning. In parallel (high) the fans individually pulled 20 amps on startup and 10 once spinning. Some together they would pull 40 amps on startup and 20 amps once spinning. I decided that was too much and wired mine for series operation only (I only have one PCM fan relay control on my 95) and it works great. No noise, plenty of air still even in the summer, and no real load added to the charging system.
If you wired them in series they are only getting 1/2 the voltage they are supposed to get. They should be wired in parallel to get the correct voltage.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
If you wired them in series they are only getting 1/2 the voltage they are supposed to get. They should be wired in parallel to get the correct voltage.
I know. That was the point. Half the voltage, 1/4 the amps, half the air which was still way more then my worn out clutched fan moved.

Quick Reply: Got my tune today! Efans are pushing not pulling