Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure issues, anyone put a Walbro in the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issues, anyone put a Walbro in the tank?

I have a 1999 5.3 Silverado 2wd single cab. About a month or so it started having a hard start issue where the first time I tried to start it, it would crank but not fire. It would always fire the second time.

Now it has gotten to where it takes several key cycles to start the truck. I found out why yesterday when I put a fuel pressure gauge on it. When turning on the key the pump is audible, but sometimes no pressure builds. If it does build pressure it starts falling off almost instantly.

Once fired, it only had 48# running pressure at idle. Pulling the vacuum hose got it to 58# at idle. If I pinch the return line it jumps to 80#.

When the truck is turned off the pressure drops very quickly and very steady down to under 10lbs in less than 5 seconds.

I put a new regulator on the fuel rail last night since it was easy and I had a coupon for Advance auto. Got the regulator valve and fuel filter for $48. After replacing the valve it has 52# at idle but still has the pressure drop when key is turned off and still has the problem starting without cycling the key.

The fuel pump is very very loud (high pitch mechanical whine, much like the Walbro in my car) but it has been that way since I bought the truck last June. There are also wires running along the frame rail to the tank, a blue one and red one. So I suspect someone has been in the tank before.

There is also a black box with a sticker that says "fuel buddy" on the feed line from the tank. Looks like it just ziptied around the line like a clamp.

It seems like there is an issue in the tank for sure. But I don't think it is the pump itself. Is it something that can be fixed in a way other than dropping $300+ on a pump assembly? I refuse to buy a junk Autozone pump because I've seen them fail the same day they were installed and never seen one last more than a year. If I have to buy a pump, I would prefer to put a Walbro in the bucket but it doesn't seem like that would fix my problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

I believe guys are running inline walbro's and leaving the stocker in place. I currently have a 2000 RCSB that has no pump currently. My previous experience was with 2004+ truck so I yanked my stocker and planned to drop a walbro in tank. Having tossed the stock pump and then finding out there is no drop in.... I am now just putting a fuel sock and pickup tube into the stock bucket and running an inline (external) pump. I'm kinda disappointed there doesn't seem to be drop in option.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a Walbro and put it in the bucket.. might have to do a lil trimming and such. but it works.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i stuffed one in my truck, i ordered it from texas-speed. it fit good i did trim a tiny bit but not to bad. i can run my truck all the way to empty with no prob, it dose not starve it for gas when turning or anything.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can put an aeromotive 340 lph pump in your sending unit and its the same size as the walbro 255 but you'll need an upgraded racetronix hotwire kit and
and the upgraded connector for your sending unit. But with your mods i think a walbro will be fine.

Also you can get a brand new Delco sending unit with pump for 230$ shipped from the fuel pump house .com . I bought one for the wifes tahoe and couldnt believe i got it for that price! Just some info for ya. But would def put a new pump in at least.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats the best option for returnless?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Trevor F
whats the best option for returnless?
Dual intank walbros with hobbs switch on the secondary one.

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

If he is going to put a 255 in there, why not just go with the 340?