Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

FMIC mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC mounting

I got a couple of surprise presents for my Bday yesterday so Im moving ahead with the FMIC in the next week as opposed to the couple of months I had planned. I got a Lincoln Pro MIG 135 and everything other than a tank of argon gas. I also got an OBX FMIC and sawzall in case I need to trim the frame. I know F8L mounted his behind the valance as does the Procharger kit. Old Bull seems to have his mounted in front of the radiator. Which location would be better? Assuming I could get the OBX to mount in front of the radiator, would that restrict flow to the radiator? Would the hot transmission fluid from the cooler adversely affect the intercooler cooling? What would you guys suggest? Which would be the easier way to route the pipe?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like F8L's mount in the valance area. Looks clean and does not interfere with the tranny/rad area.
Not that it would cause too many problems at either area, IMHO the valance looks great.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ktmrider
I really like F8L's mount in the valance area. Looks clean and does not interfere with the tranny/rad area.
Not that it would cause too many problems at either area, IMHO the valance looks great.
I like it as well, but with the Chevy lower valance I would have to cut out the center and Im not sure how ghetto that would look. Im also wondering if the shorter piping to the front of the radiator would lessen boost loss.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

I would say if you can make it fit behind the grill, do it there. Open air flow, air even moving through it while sitting still. It is a big pain to route the tubing but I think well worth it.
Ricky
Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I like it as well, but with the Chevy lower valance I would have to cut out the center and Im not sure how ghetto that would look. Im also wondering if the shorter piping to the front of the radiator would lessen boost loss.
I am in the same boat. I have a 2000 Silverado with the vortech. I am in the process of mounting my FMIC behind the valance. If you want another option for air you could always try this:

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/gr...BC%20COLOR.jpg

I am going to try cutting the lower valance first, if that doesn't work I am going with the chrome lower. Hopefully I will have pics up by Easter.

Brett
Old 03-16-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does the chrome valance cost? Does it come in anything besides chrome?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

A new valance isnt in the cards for me. Just found out Ive got to put an extra 16K down to do the deal on my house. Its either ghetto valance or in front of the radiator. Im leaning towards the radiator if I can get it to fit and it wont cause any probs. I'll be giving you a call in a couple days Old Bull. As soon as I can afford to pay attention.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I forgot you have a different valance.

Have you seen pics of Erik's OBX install on his SS? It looks very clean there and will get tons of airflow (not that these things get hot really). I'm not sure what he had to move to make it fit though. On my 4x4 there was the trans and oil cooler thing in the way.

Hopefully he'll see the thread and [post pics. If not try doing a search on Silveradoss.com
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

I moved the radiator 1.5" towards the motor for mine. no regrets so far
Old 03-16-2005, 11:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1

I moved the radiator 1.5" towards the motor for mine. no regrets so far

I really like your install! I'm gonn atalk to Rick about doing mine that way on the lil truck.

Quick Reply: FMIC mounting