Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
yea, flowmasters are 5hp and 3ftlbs of tq less. big F'n deal.

5 hp and 3 ft.lb=

Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Closet redneck has a flowmaster 40 series on his truck we will run it at the track and teh unbolt the exhaust and run it open y-pipe and see how big a difference it makes and settle all the bickering. I have personally experienced the performance gain of ditching the flows my buddy had true duals on his LT1 and then cut them off and put racing bullets on and he lost 2 tenths in teh quarter same conditions ONLY thing changed were the mufflers NOTHING else and the car ran harder and would hang with my truck before then after the swap he would pull slowly back when I only had a few things done.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real argument w/ Flowmasters is this:

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM

VS.

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM

There's a 75 CFM difference!!! This why most people here prefer Hooker Aerochambers over Flowmaster.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but you cant feel a difference with 75 more cubic feet of air moving through your exhaust
Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Now, until someone can show me dyno sheets with the same setups ONLY changing the mufflers, I will stand behind the Flows.
I'm not trying to diss on you in any way and we didn't show any dyno sheets but we did give 2 different kinds of proof. I see it this way, if the difference is only 1 or 2 cfms it still flows more and thats that. So we proved it, now are you still standing behind them?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:14 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5hp isnt something you notice, you can make that up taking a **** before you race
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tan327
I'm not trying to diss on you in any way and we didn't show any dyno sheets but we did give 2 different kinds of proof. I see it this way, if the difference is only 1 or 2 cfms it still flows more and thats that. So we proved it, now are you still standing behind them?
I asked for dyno sheets to show me some proof and they were delivered. Yes I am still standing behind them because factors like engine temp, and air temp can easily make that much difference. 5 HP is not a noticable difference, the others do flow better, but the flowmaster is still right there with them on power and I prefer their sound better than the others. The way people on here were talkin was that Flowmasters could not even compete with the other brands, the dyno sheets showed that the Flow's are right there with everything else.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I asked for dyno sheets to show me some proof and they were delivered. Yes I am still standing behind them because factors like engine temp, and air temp can easily make that much difference. 5 HP is not a noticable difference, the others do flow better, but the flowmaster is still right there with them on power and I prefer their sound better than the others. The way people on here were talkin was that Flowmasters could not even compete with the other brands, the dyno sheets showed that the Flow's are right there with everything else.
I am with you man I love the sound of the flowmaster but the aerochambers with out cats I hear sound good as well. The hookers are also a little cheaper. If I can truly find that my new set up performs like crap through my new flows then the aero chamber may be the only other option. I agree 5HP is not a whole lot but the some people want every bit of HP they can get.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

I have seen that chart somewhere.. It looks like the one in the 5.0 Mustang magazine about 4 years ago. It had a 331-347 stroker, cam, headers, heads, on a mustang dyno. All mufflers that were supplied were 2 1/2 in out and the Flowmaster was an SUV muffler. I could be wrong but that what that chart looks like. I going to try to find the magazine because I know I have it. By the way were did this info come from. I know it was another thread but did it come from a magazine or internet?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:20 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
there is no better sounding gen3 than a GTO with headers and a flowmaster catback (x pipe, 3" diameter true dual) http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....2-3DBAE8C13311

although their other stuff leaves something to be desired.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But i think it sounds like poop.

I like the way my WS6 sounded with LT's, no cats, and the Borla fully opened up.

Quick Reply: Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...