Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i am also guilty of installing flows. i have the 3 chamber 50 series. to be quite honest it seemed like i lost some torque over stock but a cant tell of any gain other than the nosie. i think the noise of the muffler fools you into thinking you gain from it. i personally am dissappointed in the flowmaster. which muffler sould i replace it with???????? ive heard people like the magnaflows but how can you tell the difference in hp? thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I bought 3" original 2 chamber flows for my new set up even though everyone hates them. I have only used flows and slp mufflers on anything I have driven so I am a little scarred of change. I must say I buy them mainly for the sound but I have never noticed any loss from using them. I will be able to run open exhaut at the track this time becauce I will be installing cutouts, so I will see if there is a gain or loss using the flows over open exhaust.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just proved to myself that Flows do not flow as well as they should. I just put my Hooker Aerochamber on, although it's quiet, it really flows great. Whenever I would "rev" it up w/ Flows, it would pop. W/ the Aerochamber it makes no popping.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Element 80
I just proved to myself that Flows do not flow as well as they should. I just put my Hooker Aerochamber on, although it's quiet, it really flows great. Whenever I would "rev" it up w/ Flows, it would pop. W/ the Aerochamber it makes no popping.
wait till you gut the cats!!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Flows Are Dang Good Dude!!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

what magnaflow mufflers did you guys buy? the xl series or what?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster's sound hallow to me..
Old 01-21-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flows in my mind produce a false performance sound on a stock set up, and they really pull the sound of a cam out when used on a cammed motor. I may swap later on down the road if the flows are that bad when I test them.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well, can't say i've ever used them, but 800 bucks for a kit is too much for a fake performance gain.
1. The Y collector on our trucks is a dual 2.5 to a single 2.75! How does a 3" exhaust system help flow?
2. I personally think fake duals are a waste of time!

After I put true duals on my truck, I was talking to a young trucker, and this kid was trying to tell me to ditch my True dual unrestrictive bottles, and replace it with a flowmaster cat-back! How does fake duals flow more than true duals! The kid was litterally an idiot.

I know with my set-up I probably lost down low, and gained a bit on top, but when I did my set-up, I was looking for that stereo dual exhaust sound!

Oh, and I was at canadian tire the other day, magnaflow is a glorified glasspack, turbo mufflers are the same, and to all those rice drivers who claim glasspacks are redneck material. Take a look inside your mufflers!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Notice that the people that have flow master are just intake and exhaust people, the guys that really mod up their cars/trucks never use flow master cause they know the how bad they don’t flow! I like doing custom exhaust, I going to do Pacesetters long tubes with the Y-pipe, no cats to a magnaflow 4'' can. But if you dint want to all that check out the Corsa Exhaust it, it flows better and it has a nice sound that not very many people have.

Quick Reply: Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...