Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element 80
I'm guilty of putting Flows on my trucks. I didn't know better! I also had a HPP3, TB spacer, and other useless crap. It wasn't until I found LS1tech, that I realized what you see advertised in Truckin', Sport Truck, etc. wasn't performance orinitated like they tell you. I recently saw a mag. article that claimed 35 rwhp gain from a Granatelli mass air, plug wires, and air intake.
Same for me, I thought all of that crap worked until I found this site. Don't feel bad, I bought a HPP3 too..

Haha, if I can find a used TB spacer for around $30 I'll buy it. I just like the whistle(I know, I know, I'm a ricer)!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Im sorry guys, i see this posted all the time and i usually just laugh it off. Enough is enough, no one here has shown any dyno print outs or flow numbers to show that flowmaster is a less superior muffler than any other muffler. It seems to me its all about preference, most dont like the drone in the cab that the flowmaster makes, thats understandable. Dont bash it and say that its a bad muffler because your magnaflow or other brand doesnt resonate. I personally run 3" exhaust with dual 40 series flowmasters, sounds awesome, LOTS of resonation. Ive been 11.38@118, faster than about 90% of the trucks on this site, with flowmasters. Just my .02
Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, the reason I got Dynomax mufflers was because everybody and his mother have flows around here and I wanted to be different. Ended up getting a better sound and better flow for a lot less. I never have liked the way flowmasters sound; to tinny for me.

Originally Posted by cbrich
Yeah tell me about it, the tips cost more than the exhaust. They have been on there since 2000 so I can't complain, If I had the chrome semi pipes for tips I would be on 4th or 5th set. I think if anybody puts these things on they need their head examine.
Guess I need to have my head examined
I have 18" long 4" chrome tips on my truck and they've been on there for over 3 years. They've dulled a little but most of that is from being sandblasted from being right behind the rear tires. Wished I'd gone stainless but these have held up suprisingly well.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I had 3" Flowmasters on my 494 cubic inch big block Buick and with the spray that thing made about 750 horsepower. People always wanted to know why I didn't uncap it at the track and I always said "cause I want to be able to hear myself think and listen to the stereo while going down the track" After lots of arguments about how much it should pick up, I decided to do a little testing one night. Guess what?? Opening the 3 1/2" collectors yielded exactly the same ET and MPH as running thru the 3" mandrel bent pipes and dual 3" three chamber Flows. So I hafta say they don't necessarily flow bad.

With all that said, no I don't have them on my truck. I like the Flowmaster sound, just not on these trucks. It is my opinion that these trucks sound like *** most of the time and they are real picky about mufflers as far as sound goes. I don't think I ever heard a stock cammed 5.3 or 6 liter I liked the sound of including mine. Now cam the thing and the whole personality changes and all bets are off......I have a Magnaflow on mine now and I like it a lot.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I guess Im going against the grain bc I like the sound of the Flows. I put the 3" in 2.5" out 40 series. But mine is stainless steel. Dont know if that makes a difference in power or not but I like the way it sounds.

Everybody around here is louder than me. They run em straight out the back with NO muffler. Its loud but to me the sound just sucks.

Just my $1.12 worth.

Brad
Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Flowmaster on my 4.3 S10. I just like the sound, and I did notice a little more throttle response. I have a single 3 inch in, dual 2.5 inch out. I heard other exhaust on similar trucks, and thought this sounded like what I wanted. To each his own.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing I do not like about Flows on these trucks is that they make it sound like you're hauling a$$, but you're hardly moving. I currently have a 1-chamber Flow on and can't wait until I've got time this week to get my Hooker welded on and $hit can that Flow.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Teching In

You guys have quite a gripe-fest going on.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered abuser

there is no better sounding gen3 than a GTO with headers and a flowmaster catback (x pipe, 3" diameter true dual) http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....2-3DBAE8C13311

although their other stuff leaves something to be desired.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

My personal experience.....had the flowmaster on my old 4.8L setup, went to the track and ran 15.6 consistantly. Swapped over to the borla turbo muffler to quiet things up a bit. Went back to the track with the only difference being the muffler swap and ran 15.5 consistantly with a best of 15.4. This from one Saturday night to the next Saturday night. Both mufflers were dumped, and it was simply cutting out the flow and installing the borla. Never wanted a flowmaster again. Not saying they suck.......just saying they sucked for me. I didn't need a dyno to tell me my truck was faster with the borla.

I'm ready to see someone post up that they went from a flow to a magnaflow, then went back to the flow......it would be the first I had ever heard of it happening.

Quick Reply: Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...