Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flex Fuel and other questions HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex Fuel and other questions HELP ASAP

Help guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5.3L Ex Cab short bed truck 4x4, I'm trying to find a 5.3 L33 with little luck but still holding out for it. I see a lot with this flex fuel, what are the differences? Can PCMs 4 less, Nelson or westers still program these trucks with the same gains? Should I hold out for a 5.3 L33? I want 4.10s so bad but it seems all every dumb dealer orders is 3.42s which sucks especially since I'll be towing and have to shell out an extra 800 bucks right off the bat for gears. Anyway, just wondering what the difference is between 5.3 flex fuel and 5.3 regular, I know the L33 is an alum block, 100 lbs light 15 more hp (wonder how they get that). One final question, what do you think a 5.3 L33 Ex Cab regular (6.5 ft) bed truck would run in the 1/4? I'm guessing mid to low 15s with the 100 lb weight savings and factory e fans.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

The L33 has slightly more lift on both the intake and exhaust and compression is up to 9.9:1 versus 9.5:1 on the L33. Hp is 310 torque is 335 LM7 is 295 335. any PCM tuner could make a stock LM7 make more power and torque than a stock tune L33.

peace
Hog
Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Wait4meperformance has tuned my Flex Fuel vehicle for more power successfully
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hog
any PCM tuner could make a stock LM7 make more power and torque than a stock tune L33.

But for the L33 you dont have to waste money on a tune you could get something else l33 with 4.10 gears best combination.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flex Fuel sucks *** for mods. First the injectors are different, or they were in 2002. Shorter, different clips, but do have a higher flow rate. The fuel system is already upgraded vs. non flex fuel but you will still have to upgrade to go to a blower or turbo. Then you have to deal with having different components than most. I just replaced all of it. new inline pump to help the stocker out, bigger injectors, modified wiring harness. I'd keep looking for the engine you want with the gears you want. If the dealer wants to make a sell they can trade another dealer or order you one and have it pretty quick. Make them earn their commision and earn your business, get what you want and don't settle, even on paint color!!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, guess I'll keep looking, good luck trying to find a 4x4 in Florida, it sucks
Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Flex Fuel sucks *** for mods. First the injectors are different, or they were in 2002. Shorter, different clips, but do have a higher flow rate. The fuel system is already upgraded vs. non flex fuel but you will still have to upgrade to go to a blower or turbo. Then you have to deal with having different components than most. I just replaced all of it. new inline pump to help the stocker out, bigger injectors, modified wiring harness. I'd keep looking for the engine you want with the gears you want. If the dealer wants to make a sell they can trade another dealer or order you one and have it pretty quick. Make them earn their commision and earn your business, get what you want and don't settle, even on paint color!!
If you go with a Radix, they will reuse the stock injectors and the fuel system. Or you can cut off the pigtails of the injectors and solder on Multec II ends for the injectors if you want
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aklim
If you go with a Radix, they will reuse the stock injectors and the fuel system. Or you can cut off the pigtails of the injectors and solder on Multec II ends for the injectors if you want

right ..thats what i did..and didnt have to change the fuel pump out either....
Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't HAVE to swap injectors or HAVE to put in an inline pump. You just should. I didn't 4 moths ago when I installed the radix. 2weeks ago I swapped to bigger injectors and the pump goes in tomorrow. You're gonna pulley down, its just a matter of time

The Flex Fuel system is just barely adequate to handle 6psi of boost. ANYTHING over that and you will need to upgrade. You most likely have 34# injectors, the radix should come with 42 or 44# injectors and an inline pump. If you keep the stock injectors you'll need longer bolts and spacers. If you order the kit new, let them know it is for FF and they will make sure you get the right parts. Newer FF trucks have different requirements than my 02 did.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

OK. Here's the deal. Either way you go it is the same price. The only thing is that if you went to regular fuel, you cannot run flex fuel anymore since the injectors are not suited for it. If you go with the regular setup, you can change the pigtails for the injectors or stick with your FF injectors. Why not change it out for $30 from Allen and get new improved injectors for the same price?

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel and other questions HELP ASAP