Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

A fire, A lot of repair work and I Need Advice..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A fire, A lot of repair work and I Need Advice..

I own a 89 K1500 and my engine caught fire due to a bad O ring in one of my injectors but only the rear portion was affected. It burned my wiring harness, distributor, coil, sparkplug wires, all the sensors. I've rebuilt the throttle body, new injectors, new sensors, all new wiring and plugs/wires, all new vacuum hoses but when I finally started it up I had a small amount of white smoke and a good bit of water coming out both sides of my exhaust and it is pulling a lot of air into the carb when I try to accelerate causing it to stall out, it idles good. So what could be the cause? I've done everything I know to do and hoping it's not a cracked head or gasket but just want some input. Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

My guess is that you have some screwed up gaskets and are going to need to take the carb all the way off. I am assuming your head gaskets are kaput as well.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RGShytleiii
I own a 89 K1500 and my engine caught fire due to a bad O ring in one of my injectors but only the rear portion was affected. It burned my wiring harness, distributor, coil, sparkplug wires, all the sensors. I've rebuilt the throttle body, new injectors, new sensors, all new wiring and plugs/wires, all new vacuum hoses but when I finally started it up I had a small amount of white smoke and a good bit of water coming out both sides of my exhaust and it is pulling a lot of air into the carb when I try to accelerate causing it to stall out, it idles good. So what could be the cause? I've done everything I know to do and hoping it's not a cracked head or gasket but just want some input. Thanks
The air sucking sound is almost surely your IAC opening up full thinking the engine is dead cold. Suspect your CTS or its wiring, particularly the grounds at the front of the engine near the thermostat housing. If you have any way of reading live data see what it thinks the coolant temp is. You can also test the CTS with an ohmmeter, but if it's old, you might just go ahead and shotgun it as they're inexpensive and they do go bad. Common failure mode is to read too cold, which richens the fuel mixture considerably and then you have the IAC fighting it trying to open up for more air trying to prevent a stall.

Richard