Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

A few pics from tonights knock sensor project

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind, forgot all my impact sockets are 6 point and so the 21mm 6 point did the trick of removing rusted knock sensor.

Pulled the valley cover, and I was wondering if the new knock sensors come with the little rubber grommets that fit UNDER the sensors in the valley cover....I'm not talking about the ones above the sensors.

I guess I could maybe get those new tomorrow at the dealership too. They are pretty nasty and are not soft anymore. Hard and cracked.

I know I'm making this seem harder than it is, but I like to be thorough and take my time. I'm also treating my engine bay to some more painted pieces...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with taking you time and doing the job right. Lookin' good.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
that is nasty looking. makes me cringe to see any kind of that dirt even thought of on my setup.
LOL, mine looked the same way, no big deal. The dirt just protects the surface underneath.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Welp, as seen in my last post, got the sensors and harness in, reinstalled intake and all the rest of the junk.....torqued down rockers, turned truck over a few times, black **** came out of plug holes, but not much.

Installed plugs, wires, blah blah blah, started truck, ran like **** for first 4-5 minutes, then evened out. Took her for a 20 miles spin, and she performed well! Dropped the plug, drained oil, put some new oil in there and started her up again to get it circulated, runs great. I'm sure I'll get better mileage from all the carbon I removed.....

Did some accent painting under the hood too, already had the fusebox and engine "vortec" cover sprayed pewter, but I added some bright green. Every year the local highschool and a few other venues have a few carshows, its mostly kids. Next year I plan on bringin mine and winning. So I'm trying to get a lil creative with under the hood. Red and blue is played out so I figured green.

The following pics are a run through of what I did. some are good quality, but most are not, since I'm using an old camera because my new one was dropped, so the pics really dont do it justice.

Painted coils and bracket pewter

Like I said these are very bad pics lol
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you put the EGR back on
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
you put the EGR back on
Can I just pull it off the intake and make a plate to cover it? Do I need to do anything with the actual egr pipe?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get one of those expandable rubber freeze plugs to put in the hole in the intake. I forget the exact size, something like 1-3/8".
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

pull off all associated parts, from the exhaust, head and intake. I've got a non EGR manifold if you want to come grab it up and swap yours out, or just make a blockoff for it... a rubber freezeplug works great for plugging the intake hole. Ive got mine like that and its survived lots of boost, nitrous etc.... no leaks
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
pull off all associated parts, from the exhaust, head and intake. I've got a non EGR manifold if you want to come grab it up and swap yours out, or just make a blockoff for it... a rubber freezeplug works great for plugging the intake hole. Ive got mine like that and its survived lots of boost, nitrous etc.... no leaks
I really dont wanna take this thing off again lol.

I'll pull the pipe off intake manifold, make a plate, and then I can just remove all that **** that the pipe connects to, all the way to the exhaust manifold?

What do I plug the exhaust with, another plate?

Quick Reply: A few pics from tonights knock sensor project