Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

A few pics from tonights knock sensor project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Told ya so glad ya got under there and looked around. Did ya strip the manifold and take your badass steam cleaner to it? Nothing to pulling the fuel rails and injectors and the rest of the sensors. Maybe 5-10 more minutes. I've got more tips on cleaning all that stuff. Gimme a ring later if ya want.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll call you from my wifes phone in a lil while, My iphone broke for the 4th time
Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

did mine a few weeks ago, real easy job. replaced the harness also, my torque wrench sucks and im sure i might have over torqued a little, but no codes and the truck runs so much stronger
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeGibbSilverado
did mine a few weeks ago, real easy job. replaced the harness also, my torque wrench sucks and im sure i might have over torqued a little, but no codes and the truck runs so much stronger
I heard somewhere that the knock sensor replacement mod adds 50 hp....

Here's halfway mark. Didnt get to fool with it agin till 5:30 this evening, and I've been taking me sweet time. Got the valve covers all cleaned up. Soaking the intake.

Got some more tips from Ben.....pulled spark plugs, loosened rockers so valves would close, and filled the intake ports with diesel/degreaser. Scrubbed the hell outta them and everything else, then sucked up the junk with my shopvac and doused everything with brake clean. Gonna pull the valley cover in a sec to mess with it some...

I wish I had a cam and heads to swap into it, this would be the time to do it.

Question. Would it benefit me to go ahead and pull the heads, and clean up the piston tops and valves? I'm already this far and all I'd have to do is pull exhaust manifolds and a few accessory brackets....That way the whole top end would be carbon-free......
Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neilownz
Maybe spray some seaform deep creep in there... pulling the heads adds the cost of new bolts and gaskets.
Very true. I forgot about new bolts. If I had a set of heads to swap on here it would be worth it but alas......
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I think you'll be suprised with just what you're doing adds as far as response alone. Don't forget the throttle body and bypass that coolant hose doing like I suggested, you can get all the way down to the backs ofthe valves, clean the ports as much as possible and even though you're cleaning them out with your shop vac make sure to spin the motor over with the plugs out to clean all the liquid that might have seeped through. You can even wait till the intake is back on to retorque the rockers, and spin it over. Put the plugs back in and you're ready to rip.

How's that intake manifold looking?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I think you'll be suprised with just what you're doing adds as far as response alone. Don't forget the throttle body and bypass that coolant hose doing like I suggested, you can get all the way down to the backs ofthe valves, clean the ports as much as possible and even though you're cleaning them out with your shop vac make sure to spin the motor over with the plugs out to clean all the liquid that might have seeped through. You can even wait till the intake is back on to retorque the rockers, and spin it over. Put the plugs back in and you're ready to rip.

How's that intake manifold looking?
I will take your advice and spin it a few times.

the intakes been soaking for a while now, I guess I'll shoot it tomorrow evening and clean her up.

Already bypassed the coolant hose so thats done. I think I'll let some seafoam soak in the ports overnight and scrub them some more tomorrow. More progress pics later! Ben, I'll get your impact to you in the am
Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

No sweat, just run it by the shop in the morning. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change your oil after this too especially if it's getting close. Some of that stuff will get inthe crankcase no matter how hard you try not to. Especially if you're letting it sit overnight. Does your truck have EGR? I can't remember if it did or not. If it does it's time to delete that so the intake doesn't wind up looking like that again. Rerouting the PCV and adding a catch can is also a great way to keep the oil and intake much cleaner. Get it back together and keep driving it. That rearend will probably keep improving. I'm guessing those clutch plates may be sticking from sitting for so long.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

By the pics you've got EGR for sure remove the solenoid from the head, the pipe from the exhaust and put a blockoff plate on it and an expandable rubber freezeplug in the hole in the intake manifold. If you can't find a blockoff for the exhaust manifold I've got a non EGR manifold laying around here you can come grab.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

I think you deleted the EGR in the tune? But I guess that stuff could still be blocked off...I went ahead and bought some more oil to change it tomorrow after its all together...I wanna say this mobil 1 has been in here for like 7K anyways....

As far as the knock sensors go....did anyone have any trouble actually backing them out of the block? Mine are badly rusted, and while they appear to have a good shape about them still as far as the mating surface for the socket goes, I'm having trouble getting one to fit.

It acts like 21 is too big, wants to round off, and 20mm is too small. But I am using 12 point sockets, maybe a 6 point would be better suited? I guess I'll search for the size I'll need.....

Quick Reply: A few pics from tonights knock sensor project